Source for NOS CGA monitors!

Talk about anything PB2K related.
JB

Source for NOS CGA monitors!

Post by JB »

OK, I took a chance and bought a $165, new old stock, 19" CGA arcade monitor from a guy on Ebay (I don't know how many he has left). It came with no metal frame, just a new picture tube from 2007 and the circuit board and wires.

Good news is, it will fit in the P2K monitor frame and the head of the P2K machine! The tube is exactly the same size as the old one with the same mounting tabs at the corners. The circuit board is the same size and come in a plastic frame that will need a couple mounting holes drilled in it, but no big deal. The signal input is a header with round pins; R, G, B, Earth and composite sync.

I am going to test it with the Nucore computer tonight and I will post back here with the results.

-JB
JB

Re: Source for NOS CGA monitors!

Post by JB »

Tests complete; it works.

The chassis board is not quite as high quality as the original and has fewer adjustments/controls, and no remote adjustment board like the Wells Gardner. In fact, it looks like the old chassis board and neck board could be used with the new tube - that will be an experiment for a later date.

At least I have a spare now. Whew!

-JB
Menace

Re: Source for NOS CGA monitors!

Post by Menace »

If you're going to try using the new tube on the original chassis the only thing you really need to check is the resistance of the yoke... (new vs. old) If they are the same or very close you should be ok. If they are not, it won't work unless you swap the yoke from the original tube to the new one, and I highly recommend you avoid doing that.

Nice find on the monitor though!

D