Several Questions

Talk about anything PB2K related.
Pinball Wizard

Several Questions

Post by Pinball Wizard »

1) Is there anything special about the ArcadeVGA on PinballLife or could I get any ArcadeVGA for a Nucore setup? I can buy one of the older ones for $40 usually and trying to shave my costs as much as possible.

2) How badly do the minimum requirements need to be followed? i.e. Could I use a 2.2Ghz single core pc with it? Or is it tied to the 2 listed processors?

3) Can you suggest any alternate amplifiers?
The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better." So I installed LINUX!

Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Several Questions

Post by Chuck »

1) There is an older version of the ArcadeVGA that has not been tested with Nucore. It should work but I can't guarantee it. Modern versions will work fine no matter where you get them.

2) You have to have a dual core processor. Nucore will not run on a single core. An AMD 4400 is the slowest processor I would use Nucore on. Anything faster is great.

3) Any amps will work. You will just need to splice into the existing wiring. I use a car amp on mine.
Pinball Wizard

Post by Pinball Wizard »

What kind of wattage is the original speaker system rated at? I don't want to blow the speakers if I do indeed buy this RFM. Thanks for all the answers to all my questions lately.

Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Pinball Wizard wrote:What kind of wattage is the original speaker system rated at? I don't want to blow the speakers if I do indeed buy this RFM. Thanks for all the answers to all my questions lately.
I believe it was 40 watts.
Pinball Wizard

Post by Pinball Wizard »

One final question, does it matter if the video card is supported by this? I might use use an LCD instead of ArcadeVGA for cost reduction, I can get an LCD for 60 buck usually.

Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Pinball Wizard wrote:One final question, does it matter if the video card is supported by this? I might use use an LCD instead of ArcadeVGA for cost reduction, I can get an LCD for 60 buck usually.
I suggest going the LCD route. Nucore isn't video card specific. It will work with whatever Ubuntu 8.04LTS linux supports. This covers most video cards. New motherboards with integrated video work very well.
Pinball Wizard

Post by Pinball Wizard »

Thanks Chuck, you've helped out a lot and I think I've got my pricing figured out on what to offer for a RFM that is dead. Thanks again.

Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Pinball Wizard wrote:Thanks Chuck, you've helped out a lot and I think I've got my pricing figured out on what to offer for a RFM that is dead. Thanks again.
My pleasure.

I'm going to move the topic to general since it's really not a support issue.