My monitor just died – need to call upon the experts out the

Talk about anything PB2K related.
randolph

My monitor just died – need to call upon the experts out the

Post by randolph »

Any suggestions on what i should do?

I just bought the machine (SWE1) about 2 months ago and this weekend i was gently pulling up (from under the play field) the little electronic board connected to the monitor that has the little dials for V-hold/color/contrast/etc and accidentally the piece touched the top of the monitor that also has another electronic board mounted just above the glow-tube on the monitor. There was a tiny spark and the monitor went dark.

The rest of the machine including the play field, sounds, prism/computer still work great except now i can't see the video interaction.

Is this something that can be repaired?
OR does anyone make a drop in LCD i can just put in and connect to the original pinball 2000 computer or am I SOL.
I hope to upgrade to the NuCore computer in a few months but have to get through Xmas first.

My wife and i LOVE this game and want it to work next weekend when we have family in for the holidays.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
randolph

Re: My monitor just died – need to call upon the experts out the

Post by randolph »

Has no one out there replaced/fixed the monitor in their pinball 2000?
ErikvS

Post by ErikvS »

I put an LCD in mine and used a converter for cga to vga signal.
It is not optimal but it works :)
You need to fit the lcd in the cabinet yourself and if you are a bit handy you could do it yourself.
I used some wood to fixate the screen to.
At the moment I am putting in my nucore so no need for the converter anymore
randolph

Post by randolph »

Thanks for the idea.
I'm pretty handy and could probably retro-fit an LCD into the box.
Do you mind me asking what sort of convertor i'd need to buy?
ErikvS

Post by ErikvS »

check out this page: http://www.skling.fr/2009/07/17/pinball ... t-0-lcd-1/
Just run it through google translator if you don't understand french as I do not :)
I just bought a jamma cga vga converter and did the same trick and it works flawlessly
randolph

Post by randolph »

Sweet.
I'll look into it.
Thanks again for the info.
I also noticed on one of the other posts that there is a company in Ontario that makes drop-in LCD monitors for Pinball 2000.
They seem to claim they have a drop in solution that doesn't require a convertor...but i could have miss read.
Left them a message. Fingers crossed.
KSKID

Post by KSKID »

You do not need to switch over to LCD monitor to repair your machine.

1.) First make sure the monitor is actually bad or the cause of your problem
2.) If it is, find someone that is into arcade games that work on monitors to repair
or
3.) Or you can just buy a new complete 19" Standard Resolution Arcade Monitor and mount
the tube and boards onto your original metal chassis and reinstall

This is what I did with my machine, bought a new monitor and mounted the boards and
tube on my original chassis, two hour job tops. New monitors are around 150 to 250.00
range.
randolph

Post by randolph »

So I made the switch.

The monitor in my SWE1 was actually a Samsung tube (i guess WG monitor was replaced a few years ago by the previous owner) but i was able to install a 19" Happ VisionPro LCD using the original metal framework. The only thing i had to do was gently cut the corners of the box to make the opening a bit bigger for the LCD. After i installed it i bought black Gorilla Tape and sealed around the monitor so no light could penetrate. Looks seamless and keeps all ambient light off the playfield.

The LCD has amazing color!!! The only downside is that it's a touch darker than a tube monitor but i kind of like it because you get to experience more of the game's playfield artwork. Plus it's 100 times easier to adjust the monitor setting with the digital controls!
Well worth the money. And now i'm prepped to upgrade to NuCore once my prism board dies.