Hrm... cheap RFMs as candidates?

Talk about anything PB2K related.
ChadTower
Veteran

Hrm... cheap RFMs as candidates?

Post by ChadTower »

The primary reason I've never had a P2k game is cost. They are both $2000+ unless you buy a really beaten one. I would imagine there may be some out there with dead prisms or monitors that would be cheaper... that we could then use this product to bring back to life. If I could get one of those in my upper price range around $1000 I probably would. It's worth a look around, I think.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Definately.

I would like to do the same once this is done and do a complete restoration. Then trick the thing out with our system, lcd monitor, and maybe upgrade the sound system. We have a few tricks up our sleeve for the sound ;-)
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

Dammit. Stop tempting me to look around for a dead RFM. This isn't the time for me to be dropping another four figures on pinball.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Buy a broken one cheap now. I don't think they will be so cheap when we are done.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

Feelers sent out... any insight as to how much one would expect to pay for am RFM sans computer/prism?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

since working pb2k machines are around 2k I would expect one with computer failure to run around 1K. Justification is that the computer could cost upwards of 1300-1500 in original parts. The prism is ~1k itself. Of course it will cost you much less than that for our solution. And before anyone asks we don't have final pricing yet.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

Thanks, that's about what I thought. Sent out a couple of feelers and got some nibbles but apparently people think their computerless P2K games are still worth $1500+.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Thats nuts.

I've seen a couple of pb2k systems for sale for 1800ish.

here's what you do. buy one for 1800.

sell the parts on ebay:

prism 1k
original computer with case 400-500 (a guess here)

end up paying 300 for the machine ;-)

as I'm typing this I'm thinking its not a bad idea actually.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

It really isn't... if I could find an $1800 RFM I'd consider it. My upper range is $1k for any pin but I could swing $1800 if I knew the balance sheet would come out properly in a short time.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

Bah... haven't even been able to find a working RFM, nevermind one without computer and prism.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Keep looking. I just picked up an episode one for 1900. I've been looking for a cabinet (just the cabinet) for about 2 years now. I'm selling the playfield and computer and it will become my new test bed. I will install a lcd in the thing too. That's gonna be fun.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

Saw a working RFM for $2k yesterday... not sure I can take that high a risk right now.
tanthony

Post by tanthony »

Chuck -- Can I buy the SWE1 Playfield off of you if you'd be including all of the electronics that one would find in a "kit"? Or if you end up with another SWE1 "kit", I'd be interested to buy.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

tanthony wrote:Chuck -- Can I buy the SWE1 Playfield off of you if you'd be including all of the electronics that one would find in a "kit"? Or if you end up with another SWE1 "kit", I'd be interested to buy.
Sorry, the playfield is sold already. And if that guy backs out I think 3 others are already in line.
tanthony

Post by tanthony »

Yeah, I think I might be the guy next in line already. Ok. As a new member of your forum, I vote you offer stuff to your own forum members first in the future!!!

P.S. Who's buying it? Maybe I can pay them $50 to let me have it :)