PB2K Jukebox?!?! Video

Talk about anything PB2K related.
Chuck
Site Admin

PB2K Jukebox?!?! Video

Post by Chuck »

A new video where Steve is demonstrating the jukebox features of our solution. He did play Spin Doctors and Bon Jovi but no one is perfect ;-)

http://www.chucksarcade.com/jukebox.wmv

Enjoy
sellenoff
Project Developer

Re: PB2K Jukebox?!?! Video

Post by sellenoff »

Chuck wrote:A new video where Steve is demonstrating the jukebox features of our solution. He did play Spin Doctors and Bon Jovi but no one is perfect ;-)

http://www.chucksarcade.com/jukebox.wmv

Enjoy
Extra credit to anyone who can name all the songs and artists I played in the video. I almost guarantee that nobody can guess them all. I can think of 1-2 songs that likely nobody would know unless they were a fan themselves..
sellenoff
Project Developer

Post by sellenoff »

I should have mentioned on the video, that I was using cheapo junk 10$ freebie speakers that came with the computer running our software. Once Don get's me a prototype board and I can plug into the real pb2k speakers and amp, that jukebox mode will rock the basement!!
tanthony

Post by tanthony »

Cute, but I've got a nice stereo. Seriously guys, I like the novelty, but it's a pinball machine. Do you have any more tricks up your sleeve though?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I guess this brings up a good point. The idea was mine and I thought people would like the ability to play music on the machine since it has a pretty good sound system. Would you actually use this feature?
FatTony

Post by FatTony »

If you did end up leaving this in the "product", Might I suggest a "hotkey" that only works in attract mode to enable "Jukebox Attract Mode". For example Press both Action buttons simultaneously to enable "JAM" Which repurposes the flipper buttons as the volume control and the action buttons as Track change. With a floating window displaying current track info, as well as instructions for use. The "JAM" mode could then be canceled by pressing start in Freeplay mode or by inserting quarters or Pressing start in Pay for Play mode.

Also a lightshow based on the musical amplitude / relative intesity would be cool as well; maybe somehow utilizing a customized winamp output that outputs directly to the lamp columns / rows.

Just some thoughts on how I would like it setup for when I purchase your product :)

PS has WAYNO contacted you yet about using these for his WB machines he is supposedly making? (not that he actually will build them, but he has to keep up appearances)
sellenoff
Project Developer

Post by sellenoff »

FatTony wrote:If you did end up leaving this in the "product", Might I suggest a "hotkey" that only works in attract mode to enable "Jukebox Attract Mode". For example Press both Action buttons simultaneously to enable "JAM" Which repurposes the flipper buttons as the volume control and the action buttons as Track change. With a floating window displaying current track info, as well as instructions for use. The "JAM" mode could then be canceled by pressing start in Freeplay mode or by inserting quarters or Pressing start in Pay for Play mode.

Also a lightshow based on the musical amplitude / relative intesity would be cool as well; maybe somehow utilizing a customized winamp output that outputs directly to the lamp columns / rows.

Just some thoughts on how I would like it setup for when I purchase your product :)

PS has WAYNO contacted you yet about using these for his WB machines he is supposedly making? (not that he actually will build them, but he has to keep up appearances)
Thanks for your suggestions. I had actually envisioned it flippers for track selection, and action buttons for volume.. , I just hadn't written the volume change code yet.. I also was planning on the track info display and stuff as well.. If anyone can point me to a quick simple document on how to suck out the mp3 tag information in standard c code, for display it would be helpful.

I had not thought of the lamp intensity idea, that's a really cool idea. That's going to take a bit of work to make happen, so it'll probably be a feature we add in later, but I love the idea.

On our long list of todo items was to discuss how users would get in and out of jukebox mode (and a few other things) so your suggetions are definitely helpful. I agree and had it in mind also to use the start button as the way out of the mode, although I think using the coin insertions is also a great idea.

Keep it coming.
sellenoff
Project Developer

Post by sellenoff »

tanthony wrote:Cute, but I've got a nice stereo. Seriously guys, I like the novelty, but it's a pinball machine. Do you have any more tricks up your sleeve though?
We definitely have more stuff to show and even more stuff planned (if we can make it work), so don't worry about that..

FWIW - When chuck first mentioned the Juke idea I wasn't all that jazzed about it, but now that I have it, I really like it.

Of course, all the little novelty type stuff we do end up adding, should in no way overshadow the true purpose and potential of what this product does. It's an alternative to running the game on the ultra un-obtanium original hardware which some day will break and in many cases won't be able to be replaced with standard easy to replace components ... And it plays better than the original, and... will allow some other cool stuff that you just can't do with the original..

-Steve
FatTony

Post by FatTony »

Hey sellenoff I borrow ideas from codeproject all the time: The following link has some snippets of code and other information (some VIA links) about ID3 data snagging/manipulation.

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/Do_Any ... h_ID3.aspx

Utilizing ID3 in a similar manner as the IPOD you could have the album art displayed on the Playfield assuming the image was embedded in the MP3.
FatTony

Post by FatTony »

OH I forgot I trademarked "JAM" when used as "Jukebox Attract Mode"

;) JK, I hereby grant unlimited usage of "JAM" to Big Guys Pinball
tanthony

Post by tanthony »

Chuck wrote:I guess this brings up a good point. The idea was mine and I thought people would like the ability to play music on the machine since it has a pretty good sound system. Would you actually use this feature?
I guess from my comment you can tell that I wouldn't expect to use this feature too much, but I would toy around with it and "show it off" to family & friends now and then. I would probably use it the most when I'm working on my other pinball machines since it would be right there and convenient. I would probably just put some classics favorites on it and not update the music too often.
nworker

Post by nworker »

I think that is a cool idea. I can get rid of my juke box in the corner and have another pinball!

The light show idea is fabu too.

Keep it up!

Hank
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I didn't think of the light show. That would be way cool. Having an insert light show while music played...

That may not make release but it's something we could certainly add later.
mickster

Post by mickster »

Chuck wrote:I guess this brings up a good point. The idea was mine and I thought people would like the ability to play music on the machine since it has a pretty good sound system. Would you actually use this feature?

Yes I would
Kenbo
Veteran

Post by Kenbo »

Interesting novelty but not something I'd ever use.