Legal Issues

Talk about anything PB2K related.
FatTony

Legal Issues

Post by FatTony »

Hey Chuck and Team,

I don't want to draw attentenion to the elephant in the room, but have you run into any legal issues with WMS, Gene, or Wayne? I would think this product would fall into the category of Aftermarket replacement parts, as long as you are not modifying the original game code, but I am not a lawyer. If Legal issues do arise in the future please put me on the list to buy a Black market version.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this project, I for one am grateful and wish you the best of luck, and wish for you at least a modest return on your time and money invested!
sellenoff
Project Developer

Re: Legal Issues

Post by sellenoff »

FatTony wrote:Hey Chuck and Team,

I don't want to draw attentenion to the elephant in the room, but have you run into any legal issues with WMS, Gene, or Wayne? I would think this product would fall into the category of Aftermarket replacement parts, as long as you are not modifying the original game code, but I am not a lawyer. If Legal issues do arise in the future please put me on the list to buy a Black market version.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this project, I for one am grateful and wish you the best of luck, and wish for you at least a modest return on your time and money invested!
I can't really get into any details, but what I will say is that we certainly are looking to do whatever we can to ensure everyone is satisified from a legal standpoint. I'm not sure myself what that will end up translating to yet, but we all agree it's a very important goal.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Since I have nothing serious to add to this post I will just add:

Mayor Carmine De Pasto: If you want this year's homecoming parade in my town, you have to pay for it.

Dean Vernon Wormer: Carmine, I don't think it's right that you should extort money from the college.

Mayor Carmine De Pasto: Look, these parades you throw are very expensive. You using my police, my sanitation people, and my Oldsmobiles free of charge. So, if you mention extortion again, I'll have your legs broken.
tanthony

Product Name

Post by tanthony »

Might want to do a trademark search on using the name "nucore" before you try selling a product by that name/brand. Search "nucore" on Google and you'll get the idea. You might be small enough to not be on anyone's radar even if it violates a trademark. Of course, you can usually get around this problem by embedding a company name in the product name such as "BIGGUYS nucore" which is very unlikely to be trademarked. I'm not a lawyer, so I'd defer to one, but I am a Product Manager and we do trademark searches anytime we launch a new product.
sellenoff
Project Developer

Re: Product Name

Post by sellenoff »

tanthony wrote:Might want to do a trademark search on using the name "nucore" before you try selling a product by that name/brand. Search "nucore" on Google and you'll get the idea. You might be small enough to not be on anyone's radar even if it violates a trademark. Of course, you can usually get around this problem by embedding a company name in the product name such as "BIGGUYS nucore" which is very unlikely to be trademarked. I'm not a lawyer, so I'd defer to one, but I am a Product Manager and we do trademark searches anytime we launch a new product.
Thanks for the suggestion.

We did in fact google on nucore initially and were surprised to find several different companies using the term in some form, so we felt comfortable thinking that a) we are too small to bother anyone if there's a trademark and b) other people may be violating the trademark if indeed there is one or c) there's probably not one.. though I suppose we ought to check to be sure if it's really cheap to do..