LCD Envy

Talk about anything PB2K related.
goner

LCD Envy

Post by goner »

Been following the LCD topics with great interest. Has anyone installed a LCD in their stock P2000 machine (non-nucore)? Other than the LCD what are the required items and costs? Anyone have a LCD installation for dummies site?
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: LCD Envy

Post by Chuck »

You can do it. Someone posted about doing it somewhere in these forums. It requires a video convertor though.
JB

Post by JB »

Yes, but it's expensive. Here's the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=298

I personally will not put an LCD in my machine until LCDs can match the black level of a CRT.

If you put an LCD monitor in a dark room and then have that monitor show nothing but a black screen, it still emits plenty of light. Do the same with a CRT and you get...black. When those electron guns are off, no light is produced.

The projection effect on RFM is really enhanced when the black levels on the monitor really are black.

-JB
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

JB, you are absolutely correct about the black level. I will tell you though with my setup I see no light from the dark areas of the monitor. I took this picture with about a 7 second exposure. http://www.bigguyspinball.com/images/swone.jpg You can see that the lcd does glow because of the backlighting. If you notice the reflected picture you see very little light in the dark areas. Again, this is over a 7 second exposure and you cant detect the light with the naked eye under normal conditions. If you are planning on going to expo I would really like you see you at our seminar so you could see my machine and give me your opinion then.
JB

Post by JB »

Not Expo, unfortunately, but I am bringing my RFM to CA Extreme this year. It will have the original Wells-Gardner monitor in it, driven via one of those arcade monitor amplifiers from Ultimarc. This monitor is on it's last legs, so I will decide on what to do after CAX.

I am willing to be convinced on the LCD issue, just haven't seen one yet that I like better than a good CRT.

Later,
-JB
destruk

Post by destruk »

Chuck, with that picture you posted http://www.bigguyspinball.com/images/swone.jpg - why is the 0 credits, insert coins text chopped in half vertically? The bottom half is missing because the mirror isn't adjusted correctly or is it something else?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

destruk wrote:Chuck, with that picture you posted http://www.bigguyspinball.com/images/swone.jpg - why is the 0 credits, insert coins text chopped in half vertically? The bottom half is missing because the mirror isn't adjusted correctly or is it something else?
I noticed that in the picture myself. It's not that way on the game normally so I'm not sure what happened.