Is Nucore shock proof?

Talk about anything PB2K related.
Eddie
Veteran

Is Nucore shock proof?

Post by Eddie »

I have just finished reading info on the Pinball 2000 machine from pinrepair.com

Here is an excerpt that caused me to post this thread

[The PRISM card was used instead of a CD-ROM or hard drive because it is shock and tilt proof. It is also less prone to environmental factors, is easy to transport and easy to install. Also the data transfer rate is extremely fast.]

Will the Nucore system address these issues (Shock,Tilt) or are they really nothing to be concerned with.

Also does the Nucore system having a Hard Drive make anymore noise then the Pinball2000's stock computer with fan running?
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Is Nucore shock proof?

Post by Chuck »

I would say nucore is no more or less shock proof than the original computer. Sound level will be about the same as an old computer with good fans. Although some people have power supply/cpu fans that can be really noisy due to failing bearings. Lets say you drop the head from 5 feet (mistake) you would probably sustain the same type of damage with either system. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but I do believe hard drive heads retract upon power down to help prevent platter damage from jolts while the power is off. Although you could use solid state storage and you would have no worries.