Prism cards whats so bad?

Talk about anything PB2K related.
yetterben

Prism cards whats so bad?

Post by yetterben »

What is so horribly bad about these prism cards. Why do so many people think they fail so often? what causes them to fail? the roms get cooked or what?

It seems people get so scared to turn one on but in reality what is there to really fail except the mb proc or prism?

Also how is nucore gonna dump the roms so we can use them. i realize you are not shipping with these so how are we gonna get the data? what about the guys with dead prisms????
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Prism cards whats so bad?

Post by Chuck »

Nothing really. Great design IMO. They just aren't readily available. People usually ask 500 for them. It's not just the prism cards though. ROMS can't be remade and almost no spares are available. No roms? SOL. The motherboards suffer from the junk capacitor syndrome. The processor is unique. So really there are a lot of issues with the original system. Plus the original system didn't have a jukebox or auto-playfield detection and game selection ;-)
yetterben

Post by yetterben »

so how is nucore gonna make use of are current roms? I guess i am asking is nucore gonna ship with something that can dump are current rom set? If thats the case what about the guys with dead prisms that have the roms but there prism is doa.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

We designed and built a ROM reader. There is a picture of it in the pingame journal.
yetterben

Post by yetterben »

cant seem to find it. so i assume that comes with the software then upon release!
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

yetterben wrote:cant seem to find it. so i assume that comes with the software then upon release!
Don't ever assume anything. We have yet to finalize all of the details.
yetterben

Post by yetterben »

sorry if i stepped on any toes. Just this aspect has not been talked about much.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

yetterben wrote:sorry if i stepped on any toes. Just this aspect has not been talked about much.
You didn't step on any toes ;-) I announce everything I can. For certain reasons I can't announce everything yet. Some of the details have yet to be worked out.
yetterben

Post by yetterben »

Any news on how we are gonna get are roms dumped?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

unfortunately no news yet. Hopefully soon.