Sound Options

Talk about anything PB2K related.
Kenbo
Veteran

Sound Options

Post by Kenbo »

Somebody mentioned on RGP that the selection of sound hardware is still up in the air.

My vote is for a plug and play solution that works with the stock sound. As it is it sounds pretty good to me and I'd like to minimize wiring hacks and keep the game as original as possible.
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Sound Options

Post by Chuck »

This is a great thread. Everyone please post your opinion. Options are:

1) We create an I2S interface from the pc to the existing sound amp (currently inside your computer case) You would need your existing amp but the interface would be cheap.
2) We create a plug and play wiring harness compatible amp from scratch. Same audio specs. More money, but not a lot.
3) You buy your own amp.

We will make either #1 or 2 above so people who don't want to mess with an audio amp won't have to.
yetterben

Post by yetterben »

Personally i will use my own audio amp. Option 1 sounds best for others,to me anyway.
mickster

Post by mickster »

Chuck wrote:This is a great thread. Everyone please post your opinion. Options are:

1) We create an I2S interface from the pc to the existing sound amp (currently inside your computer case) You would need your existing amp but the interface would be cheap.
2) We create a plug and play wiring harness compatible amp from scratch. Same audio specs. More money, but not a lot.
3) You buy your own amp.

We will make either #1 or 2 above so people who don't want to mess with an audio amp won't have to.

#2, the reason is, I think in the end, people are going to want their original pinball 2000 computers completely intact and not 'gutted' in anyway to run nucore. This will allow the original computer to be slid back in and hooked up without opening the original computer case at all. I realize the sound amp isn't a big deal to remove from the case, but it still sorta part of the original pinball 2000 computer. Another reason to not use this amplifier is that it is absolutely unable to be obtained anywhere. At one time when I was considering building a pinball 2000 system (all original). I found that the amplifier (as far as a original wms part) is actually harder to source than the prism card.
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

Option #2 for me!!!!!! I want New all the way. Working or not the stock amp is at least 8 years old already.
Kenbo
Veteran

Post by Kenbo »

#2 would be fine with me, it's #3 I don't want to mess with.
applejuice

Post by applejuice »

#2 or #3 for me, I want my original hardware intact.
Jim

http://tournament.mypinballs.com

"All parts should go together without forcing. Remember the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. If you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. Do not use a hammer." ~ IBM
gehrig

Post by gehrig »

I vote for option #2 as well
Menace

Post by Menace »

I think for ease of use to the consumer, option #2 would be the best solution (even with the cost adder). I would think that it would / should minimize the number of support emails you would have to deal with.

Me personally, I'll be going with option #3 though. :D

Doug
nworker

Post by nworker »

Option #2 Is my choice
applejuice

Post by applejuice »

Is option 1 here still an option for people, or was that idea dropped? Can this type of thing be made yourself?
Jim

http://tournament.mypinballs.com

"All parts should go together without forcing. Remember the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. If you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. Do not use a hammer." ~ IBM
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

I'll end up going option 3 so I can substantially upgrade the sound while I'm at it.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Based on the input we did create option one. Option 3 is always available.
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

Chuck, I think the question here is whether or not the existing pin2k sound board can be used with nucore.
For me, the $100 saving might determine whether I order now or wait until my old system packs up.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

woodlouse wrote:Chuck, I think the question here is whether or not the existing pin2k sound board can be used with nucore.
For me, the $100 saving might determine whether I order now or wait until my old system packs up.
You can use the original amp. There is one issue though; the original amp doesnt have a 1/8 stereo jack on it. It has a place for it on the board but no jack. You have to install a jack (we haven't been able to find one that fits) or solder wires from the board to a jack or directly to a cable. It has been done and is being used by one of our beta testers and Don also did this. I would say it requires soldering skill as the connections are small.