Fantastic upgrade of images with video amp

Talk about anything PB2K related.
Subarubrat

Re: Fantastic upgrade of images with video amp

Post by Subarubrat »

Cap kits are a tough problem. I have done 1979 monitors (29 years old) with a standard cap kit (ie 75% of the caps) and perfection resulted. I also had a 1971 monitor (Computer Space) that had a cap can which was a PCB in a can that had a group of caps in it. That took every single cap. Start simple, replace the stock list of caps and see what happens. If you need to do every one, you might be out an additional $6.55.
ChadTower
Veteran

Re: Fantastic upgrade of images with video amp

Post by ChadTower »

Subarubrat wrote:Cap kits are a tough problem. I have done 1979 monitors (29 years old) with a standard cap kit (ie 75% of the caps) and perfection resulted. I also had a 1971 monitor (Computer Space) that had a cap can which was a PCB in a can that had a group of caps in it. That took every single cap. Start simple, replace the stock list of caps and see what happens. If you need to do every one, you might be out an additional $6.55.

Yeah, the old b/w Motorolas have those can caps. It can be a real pain to redo those because you can't get matching values for the individual caps. Add to that the fact that the caps use a common leg (which is why they're in the can to begin with) and it can get tricky to redo with a group of caps.