Fantastic upgrade of images with video amp

Talk about anything PB2K related.
Subarubrat

Fantastic upgrade of images with video amp

Post by Subarubrat »

I read Clay's tip at http://www.pinrepair.com/pin2000/index.htm#monitor (just over halfway down the page) about adding a video amplifier. He made a good point about PCs being a 1v signal and arcade monitors needing closer to 4v. I installed the one from ultimarc a few days ago and the difference was more than I ever expected. The overall hologram effect is much stronger now and so many more features can be seen. I thought my image was good with a nice crisp monitor and it was certainly as good as any other RFM I have seen. After going with the amp I am seeing detail that was never there before.

Examples:
In general; The targets and things that should be hidden are much more hidden behind the image. Tons of details are now visible.
Mars Kneads Women, you can see his hands and console button as clearly as the center of the image, the whole image is much more vibrant.
Alien Abduction; the objects being beamed up are far more detailed and solid looking.
Martian Happy Hour, the guy juggling on the ramp and the guy with the lampshade on the right are just as solid and vibrant as the ones at the bar and they are all punched up. You won't believe how washed out they were.

Installation tips;

On my RFM I DID have to run the 5v line from a drive connector as indicated that you might have to do in the article. I also had to run the amp with separate sync lines which consisted of attaching V sync to the unused terminal, H sync to the sync terminal and cutting the jumper on the amp's PCB, this is covered at ultimarcs site although not mentioned in clay's guide.
woodlouse

Re: Fantastic upgrade of images with video amp

Post by woodlouse »

Sounds great - I just ordered one :D
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

Which amplifier? I cant seem to find one on their site. Would you have photos of your installation?
Subarubrat

Post by Subarubrat »

http://www.ultimarc.com/vidamp.html

It isn't on their site in a very clear way. It is under Store rather than all the main page descriptions. As far as a picture, I can snap and post one tommorow when I get home. The installation is really a snap. The amp comes with a vga cable and all you have to do is remove your stock cable, install the new one and the amp. Trim the last few inches with the connector off the old cable and match up R G B GND SYNC lines on the amp. Like I said, on mine I had to run the H and V sync separate. There are instructions on the ultimarc website for wiring that up.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Just a reminder, we are including a gamma adjustment with Nucore. If your video card supports gamma adjustments it will allow you to boost your video signal to the original monitor. The gamma may not be as dramatic as using a video amp but many people may find it to be a great improvement without the additional price.

On a side note a good monitor does enhance the holographic effect. My LCD really does a great job with it's bright colors.
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

My video amp has arrived. Couple of questions though. How do I determine whether I need the extra 5v supply line? and if I do, where is a good point to get it from.
Subarubrat

Post by Subarubrat »

Pin 9 is the pin to check on your VGA connector to see if 5v is present. Or, you can always wire it up and if you get nothing, then you know you need the 5v. As far as finding a 5v source you have about a half dozen unused connectors for the drives that carry 5v. They also have a 12v line so make sure you check them and get the right one. I just clipped off a 5v drive connector line and extended it.
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

Finally got around to fitting the video amp - spurred on by my monitor getting dimmer and taking longer and longer to warm up, yesterday I could hardly see a picture at all at first.
Anyway fitting the amp was easy as I already had the 5v supply and it works great. this a fantastic hack for a failing monitor. :D
Just hope my monitor holds out long enough until nucore is available.
mickster

Post by mickster »

With what you are describing, most likely the picture tube is fine. Your monitor chassis just needs a cap kit. The fact that the monitor can warm up and look better is the clue. If it was the tube, it wouldn't change with the longer that its on. A cap kit is only about 7 dollars and someone that can do it should only take them about an hour. Glad the amp is getting you by though.

Mickey

woodlouse wrote:Finally got around to fitting the video amp - spurred on by my monitor getting dimmer and taking longer and longer to warm up, yesterday I could hardly see a picture at all at first.
Anyway fitting the amp was easy as I already had the 5v supply and it works great. this a fantastic hack for a failing monitor. :D
Just hope my monitor holds out long enough until nucore is available.
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

Thanks Mickster. Mine is a Wells Gardner monitor, any idea which caps I should change?
Clay's site has a list of caps but doesn't say where they on the boards.
mickster

Post by mickster »

woodlouse wrote:Thanks Mickster. Mine is a Wells Gardner monitor, any idea which caps I should change?
Clay's site has a list of caps but doesn't say where they on the boards.
If you look closely at the board itself, it will be silkscreened next to the cap what cap it is. Also the board most likely will have a small + next to the side where the positive lead goes.
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

If you look closely at the board itself, it will be silkscreened next to the cap what cap it is. Also the board most likely will have a small + next to the side where the positive lead goes.
Yes but Clay's site only gives the caps values and not the CXXX number needed to identify which caps to change.
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

I managed to get a repair guide for the WG which includes a list of caps :D
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

I have repaired a lot of monitors. When in doubt replace them all. Cap kits are meant for monitors inside of 7-8 years, IMO. Once you get past that point every cap in the chassis is suspect.
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

I take you point ChadTower. I took my monitor board out and saw that three caps (not ones included in caps list) show visible signs of leakage. Downside is that are 70+ caps at a guess, could be quite expensive and a lot of work.
I'm thinking I will take a middle path and change ones on list plus these 3 to start with.