POLL: Please give us your 2 cents about a Nucore case

Talk about anything PB2K related.

Which option for a Nucore case sounds the best (read below before voting)

A bracket that will mount to a standard computer case
57%
A custom Nucore case
43%
I don't like either solution and have added an idea below
No votes

Total votes: 23

Chuck
Site Admin

Re: POLL: Please give us your 2 cents about a Nucore case

Post by Chuck »

We are doing our best to cater to a majority of pin2k owners wants/needs. That's one of the reasons we ask you for your opinions when we make our decisions. Thank you for your input here.

Kenbo, there will be a drop-in complete solution regardless of what we decide to do with the case issue. There will also be an a la carte option for people who want to save money or come up with their own solutions for certain components.

Jazman, our goal was to do as much as we could in software but we always knew there would be some hardware component. I think everyone will agree we did very well. There was one thing we could not do in software and maintain stability. I won't go into all the technical reasons but trust me we tried. So the custom hardware will use a usb interface to connect to the host. Since we had to build this board we took it a step further and added a hardware interface to it so we could later expand the system with mods (physical knocker, enhanced saucer lights, etc.) Unlike the prism board which new ran about $300 or so AFAIR new our board is very simple and has a very low cost. Being usb it's not tied to a bus technology and the interface can easily be changed to future standards if need be. We will allow users to buy extras and they will most likely be less than $100.
Gamer1st

Post by Gamer1st »

My only hope is that this system will allow us to lay up stores of replacement parts while available, and hopefully cheap. After that who knows what we'll be using, and who could blame the Nucore guys for not being able to see into the future that far ahead. At least we won't be dealing with a company that's shutting down in the same way Bally/Williams did before making sufficient replacement parts. We'll be going into this with our eyes open knowing, (as much as possible), that the tech will change and be ready for it.

Of course it'd also be great if someone could do a few other drop in tables for the system as well.

Now where's that damn announcement?!?!?!?!!?!?!?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Gamer1st wrote:My only hope is that this system will allow us to lay up stores of replacement parts while available, and hopefully cheap. After that who knows what we'll be using, and who could blame the Nucore guys for not being able to see into the future that far ahead. At least we won't be dealing with a company that's shutting down in the same way Bally/Williams did before making sufficient replacement parts. We'll be going into this with our eyes open knowing, (as much as possible), that the tech will change and be ready for it.

Of course it'd also be great if someone could do a few other drop in tables for the system as well.

Now where's that damn announcement?!?!?!?!!?!?!?
You know I announced the announcement when I thought it was a couple of days away :p Good things take time and you'll really understand why when I do post the press release.

You also nailed the whole longevity issue on the head. Everyone knows things will change and we have eliminated the need of most of the proprietary hardware. The really nice thing about Nucore is you can buy a complete spare computer for 200 bucks and put the thing in a closet for spare parts. Back when Williams released the original you would have probably had to spend about 5 or 6 times that for a spare computer, maybe more.

One other thing I will add; if Don and I ever do decide we've had enough of Nucore and no longer want to carry the torch we will hand the torch to someone or some group. We didn't do all of this work without planning for longevity.
JB

Post by JB »

Let me guess - the legal requirements dictate that rather than dump the ROMs into some other storage device, they need to be used to run the game at all times.

Am I close? I hope not.

-JB
billp

Post by billp »

My vote is also for a custom case designed by Nucore.

Bill
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

JB wrote:Let me guess - the legal requirements dictate that rather than dump the ROMs into some other storage device, they need to be used to run the game at all times.

Am I close? I hope not.

-JB
Oh, I'm sorry that's not the correct answer. Please grab your turtle wax at the door on your way out ;-)