POLL: Please give us your 2 cents about a Nucore case

Talk about anything PB2K related.

Which option for a Nucore case sounds the best (read below before voting)

A bracket that will mount to a standard computer case
57%
A custom Nucore case
43%
I don't like either solution and have added an idea below
No votes

Total votes: 23

Chuck
Site Admin

POLL: Please give us your 2 cents about a Nucore case

Post by Chuck »

The sound amplifier is basically done and sounds great (pictures shortly.) The custom Nucore hardware board has been designed and we are waiting for prototypes. This leaves us with the case. We want a case that will use the existing rail mount in pin2k systems so you can mount Nucore just like the original computer. We have two possible solutions:

1) A mounting bracket that would attach to a standard computer case and allow you to choose your own case (within dimensional reason.)

Pros: Possibly much cheaper than a custom case. More choices and flexibility. Option to change case later.
Cons: You would most likely have to drill a couple of holes in a stock computer case to mount the bracket (although we could sell pre-modded cases for people who fear drills.)

2) A custom Nucore computer case. It would be built specifically for this purpose and would contain minimal drive expansion capabilities.

Pros: Built for one purpose. Nucore custom hardware and amp would have mounting brackets.
Cons: Price. Limited expandability. Might have to become part of the base package so you would get it whether you intended to use it or not.

Please vote and/or provide feedback and ideas. This is our last piece of the puzzle.
Kenbo
Veteran

Re: POLL: Please give us your 2 cents about a Nucore case

Post by Kenbo »

My vote is for a custom case. It will be more expensive, but it will be drop-in and look far more original than a cobbled together beige no-name case.
nwojedi

Post by nwojedi »

I say nucore case. How often are you going to have to change out the cpu or whatever? As long as a modern motherboard can fit as a replacement, it should be fine. Once it's setup, you don't really have to beef up the system. Not like your playing some major high end game on it.

:)
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

Custom Black Nucore Case with Nucore Logo
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I should further clarify if we do make a case it will be bare metal just like the original (see not pretty.) We really want to keep costs down so if anyone wanted something fancy you would probably have to mod it yourself or send it to a plating company.
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

I'm for the budget option - it won't be seen when game is operating so I don't really care what it looks like.
Would Nucore fit into existing case if the old hardware is removed?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

woodlouse wrote:Would Nucore fit into existing case if the old hardware is removed?
Current motherboards don't work in the old case unfortunately.
incogneato

Post by incogneato »

Unless you're going to sex it up (and you sound as though you aren't), then money on a custom case is a complete waste, IMHO.

I'd be happy with epoxying a motherboard to a support and foregoing the case altogether! :twisted:
MattyB

Post by MattyB »

Prefer a custom case but a generic one wouldn't stop me from buying the product.
JMX

Post by JMX »

Voted for the bracket alternative. I like the flexability it gives.
Also I figure that it's a bit cheaper to ship a bracket than a metal case overseas.
djcharlie17

Post by djcharlie17 »

I'm going with the most cost effective (aka, CHEAP) route. A custom box would be a waste in my mind... but then again my mind is a waste.
:D
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

Chuck wrote:
woodlouse wrote:Would Nucore fit into existing case if the old hardware is removed?
Current motherboards don't work in the old case unfortunately.

Just curious why this is? Too big? I/O ports not situated coincedentally?

I'm a pretty heavy DIYer so if I could save substantial cash going with my own case I would do that. If it's a $25 difference I'd pay that over doing 3 hours of custom fab work. It really depends on how much effort the DIY route is vs the cost difference between two options. Less expensive DIY is cool but not if it takes me 3 weeks of my limited spare time just to get the PC installed in the backbox.
skulz

Post by skulz »

Generic is good unless it's a pain to install.
Kenbo
Veteran

Post by Kenbo »

Some brutal honesty here, sorry.

For me, if the Nucore solution isn't a direct drop-in I probably would not buy it. The jukebox is not something I will use and if I have to hassle with building/modifying a computer I might as well fix the original (assuming that replacement prisms will become cheaper after Nucore releases).
Jazman

Post by Jazman »

Hey Chuck - what's this custom Nucore board? Is this just for the people who want a drop in so you need the video and audio interface that is non-standard? Or did something change and I missed it? I know one of the main points of Nucore was so that we didn't end up with the same problem we're in now... 10 years from now.

As far as the old case not working, I'd be interested in hearing what's different as well if it's easy to explain. The new MicroATX motherboards are pretty damn small so is it just a matching up the holes problem?

Jaz
Jaz
TAF, IJ(93), RFM, SWE1(kit), BSD, Monopoly, LOTR