Thinking ahead

Talk about anything PB2K related.
Jazman

Thinking ahead

Post by Jazman »

Ok, now that NuCore is close to becoming a reality (now that the issues that were out of your direct control have been solved), a few technical questions.

1. What Linux distro are you guys using for your platform?
2. What size LCD (and model if you have it handy) did you replace the monitor with (Dell something if I recall)?
3. Is there any hardware you've identified as having issues with?

Thanks!
Jaz
Jaz
TAF, IJ(93), RFM, SWE1(kit), BSD, Monopoly, LOTR
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Thinking ahead

Post by Chuck »

1) Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
2) I used a 22" widescreen dell (posted somewhere else in the forum)
3) No problems yet althought ATI video works much better than Nvidia (just a linux thing.) AMD processors seem to run faster than the more expensive Intel processors (trying to verify this.) We will release hardware that has been tested with Nucore.
Jazman

Post by Jazman »

Chuck wrote:1) Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
2) I used a 22" widescreen dell (posted somewhere else in the forum)
3) No problems yet althought ATI video works much better than Nvidia (just a linux thing.) AMD processors seem to run faster than the more expensive Intel processors (trying to verify this.) We will release hardware that has been tested with Nucore.
Yea, I know the full-up kits will be hardware you've tested. I'm likely going to be a build-it myself, masochist type as I have a few goals for my system. Haven't seen pricing of options yet however, so you never know. I would like to get 100% solid state. Probably won't happen in the first pass, but I would like to get to that point. The fan-less power supplies are a little pricey right now as are the fanless CPU heatsinks. SSD at some point as well.

But, I would like to go with the fanless motherboards and my initial target was jiving with what you just said (AMD CPU, AMD chipset on M/B, integrated ATI video).
Jaz
TAF, IJ(93), RFM, SWE1(kit), BSD, Monopoly, LOTR
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

Chuck wrote:AMD processors seem to run faster than the more expensive Intel processors (trying to verify this.)

That's usually true in general... a little faster, a little less reliable over the long term.
Kenbo
Veteran

Post by Kenbo »

ChadTower wrote:
Chuck wrote:AMD processors seem to run faster than the more expensive Intel processors (trying to verify this.)

That's usually true in general... a little faster, a little less reliable over the long term.
That's been my experience with AMD. They seem to run hotter so maybe they suffer more heat related failures. We've yanked two from the field over the last month that both developed intractable problems after a few years of reliable service.