RFM/SWE1 ROM Availability Update

Talk about anything PB2K related.
Chuck
Site Admin

RFM/SWE1 ROM Availability Update

Post by Chuck »

The Pinball Factory has agreed to make the Revenge from Mars and Star Wars Episode One ROMS available for public download from pinball.com and IPDB.org. This is great news as it has eliminated the need for a ROM reader and will make the experience of installing Nucore that much easier. We will let you all know when the ROMs are available.

If anyone wants to buy a prototype pin2k ROM reader let me know (just kidding)
skulz

Re: RFM/SWE1 ROM Availability Update

Post by skulz »

Sounds great. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to installing the system.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

That's a huge technical hurdle for a lot of the userbase... nice one!
ace3093

Post by ace3093 »

I know the pin2k game updates are small in size but how much space does the actual game roms take? I figure since these games are 10 years old not to much by todays standards.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

ace3093 wrote:I know the pin2k game updates are small in size but how much space does the actual game roms take? I figure since these games are 10 years old not to much by todays standards.
64MB per game and the update code (which you only only ever need to install once)
ace3093

Post by ace3093 »

Wow, they managed to fit all the audio and video into 64megs. That is very impressive. Some of my MP3 audio podcasts are larger then that. :D
Revo76

Post by Revo76 »

Well, it is all pretty low resolution, so it should easily fit on all those roms.
When you are going for higher resolutions, then grab out more rams for your roms.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

That raises an interesting question... if the videos in the ROM are so poor, how are they being played with such greater quality in NuCore? Did they turn out to be decent in the ROM and the player is poor? Or are they being upsampled somehow?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

ChadTower wrote:That raises an interesting question... if the videos in the ROM are so poor, how are they being played with such greater quality in NuCore? Did they turn out to be decent in the ROM and the player is poor? Or are they being upsampled somehow?
The images are all original. Its the increase in framerate that makes the animations more fluid. The original system skipped frames a lot of the time and would cause jerky animations. You have to see it to really appreciate it.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

Ah... makes sense. Thanks!
freakandgeek

Post by freakandgeek »

ChadTower wrote:Ah... makes sense. Thanks!
Damn what is taking so long for the blunder from down under to get the files up? Have a SWE1 playfield and absolutely no way of playing it is getting really old.

- Kevin
Jazman

Post by Jazman »

freakandgeek wrote:
Damn what is taking so long for the blunder from down under to get the files up? Have a SWE1 playfield and absolutely no way of playing it is getting really old.

- Kevin
Well, at this point I'm not sure what good the ROMs will do you. Until they ship NuCore, the files won't do you good there. You can't burn the ROMs yourself as some of them exist in chips bigger than were ever made. Those ROMs were one as masked parts.

So, either buy a set of ROMs or wait for NuCore to ship (which I REALLY hope is soon! sOOn! SOON!!!)

Jaz
Jaz
TAF, IJ(93), RFM, SWE1(kit), BSD, Monopoly, LOTR
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

freakandgeek wrote:

- Kevin
First - Wayne has offered to host the files when we send them to him and we haven't yet.
Second - Insulting someone who is going to help you isn't smart and I will ask you to refrain from doing so on this forum.

If the ROMs were available right now they would do you no good.