NuCore Wiki?

Talk about anything PB2K related.
ChadTower
Veteran

NuCore Wiki?

Post by ChadTower »

Any thought to putting up a Wiki here so that the users can build up the knowledge base on their own? The RGP talk makes it look like a lot of the early adopters are going to try various DIY techniques to keep the cost down. It would be very useful to document as much of that as people are willing to write up.
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: NuCore Wiki?

Post by Chuck »

Probably not a bad idea. I've never created a custom wiki, just edited existing ones.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

It's easier than putting up a working forum. :) I don't know whether you're hosting yourself or paying a provider to set up the software/host, but either way, it's fairly trivial for software guys like yourselves to drop a Wiki into a base Apache. You already have a dbms for the forum so half the work is done.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I created the site and installed the forums. Just out of curiosity, why not just use the forums and keep everything in one place? Less work for me =)
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

A large cross section of technical abilities is going to lead to a lot of repeated questions. Most people who can't answer their own questions will not search first. If you have users willing to write up some basic tutorials it can only help head those questions off. It does look like you're going to get a good amount of custom solutions in terms of mounting and audio. If you feel more comfortable with it you can limit the wiki editors to only certain people.

Look at it this way... the downside is an empty wiki but the upside is a spiffy site of documentation written for you. :mrgreen:
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I understand that but people will be able to do that in this forum too.
freakandgeek

Post by freakandgeek »

>I understand that but people will be able to do that in this forum too.

You are missing the point. The information will all be in one easy-to-read and logical document. Sure there is a lot of information here in the forums, but it is scattered all over the place. Some info will be hard to find, some people are lazy to look, etc, etc.

I agree a Wiki is a great idea. Basically it would serve as a very detailed FAQ document. It will probably save you a lot of emails and phone calls.

- Kevin
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I really do understand the easy-to-read thing. I had planned on making a couple of guides here and a main FAQ.

I did look for php based wiki apps and didn't like the few I found. None looked as nice or as easy to use as the real wiki. Suggestions?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

You guys asked for it:

http://bigguyspinball.com/wiki/index.ph ... =Main_Page

Now please help populate it =)
Jazman

Post by Jazman »

Chuck wrote:You guys asked for it:

This doesn't seem to share the username/password from the forum database. Are we supposed to need new login creds or should it be pointing the existing user database?
Jaz
TAF, IJ(93), RFM, SWE1(kit), BSD, Monopoly, LOTR
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Jazman wrote:
Chuck wrote:You guys asked for it:

This doesn't seem to share the username/password from the forum database. Are we supposed to need new login creds or should it be pointing the existing user database?
Unfortunately there is no integration and I don't have the time to migrate data. You'll need to create a new login/password.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I added some basic information to the Wiki. fyi
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

That's a start. I can't find any links to it, though, except that one in the original thread suggesting a Wiki.
Jazman

Post by Jazman »

Ok, I started to update the Wiki with the audio amp mod and instructions. Not anywhere near complete... in fact just started. I have a few photos I want to upload, but uploads are disabled.

Keith
Jaz
TAF, IJ(93), RFM, SWE1(kit), BSD, Monopoly, LOTR
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Jazman wrote:Ok, I started to update the Wiki with the audio amp mod and instructions. Not anywhere near complete... in fact just started. I have a few photos I want to upload, but uploads are disabled.

Keith
Very nice. Thanks