Connecting a LCD to the original P2K hardware

Talk about anything PB2K related.
Sam

Connecting a LCD to the original P2K hardware

Post by Sam »

I know this isn't specifically nucore so I apologize for the off topic subject. The original hardware has a 15 pin D-Sub connector for the CGA output, right? I bought a Jamma CGA to VGA converter off ebay so I can attach a LCD and take out the tube. From what I've been able to find/learn, CGA signals typically use 9 pin D-Sub connectors. The original hardware also used a custom cable to connect from PC to the monitor boards. I'm wondering what cable will I need to hook up from the PC to the Jamma CGA->VGA converter. I guess what I'm confused about is whether the pin layout on the video out on the original computer is standard or custom. What I can't find is whether the 15pin layout can be used for VGA and CGA with CGA ignoring some of the pins that it doesn't use.
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Connecting a LCD to the original P2K hardware

Post by Chuck »

Sam,

You need to buy a scan convertor. Last time I checked they were about $350.
Sam

Post by Sam »

When I asked about it on RGP, a couple of guys said only a CGA to VGA converter was needed. Isn't the Jamma CGA to VGA converter essentially doing what a scan converter is doing?

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga/eg ... d_291.html

Sam
cyclonemystery

Post by cyclonemystery »

Hello Sam,
you are right. The CGA to VGA converter is the only thing you need. You cut the CGA cable and connect the wires to the CGA connecter so called "Spin CGA Signal Input" on the left side of the converter. The VGA cable is connected on the top. On the right side you can trim the result.

Rüdiger
Attachments
Converter.jpg
Converter.jpg (72.49 KiB) Viewed 26330 times
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Be careful with those convertors. We bought one of their vga to cga convertors and it was junk. We wanted to see if it would work in place of the ultimarc card.
cyclonemystery

Post by cyclonemystery »

@chuck
You mean CGA to VGA Convertor? Sam wants to connect the original Pinball2000 computer to a TFT

Rüdiger
Sam

Post by Sam »

Thanks Cyclo, the video out port on the original P2K pc is 15 pins. Can I just get a VGA breakout cable and connect it to the right pins? When I look at the 15 pin layout, it's pretty much the same as the VGA layout although the actual signal isn't.

Sam
Sam

Post by Sam »

If you take a look at the pin layout on the p2k pc ( http://www.pinrepair.com/pin2000/index.htm#monitor ) pins 13 and 14 are the HS and VS signals. Which one should be connected to the S pin on that 5pin CGA connector on the converter card?

Sam
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

cyclonemystery wrote:@chuck
You mean CGA to VGA Convertor? Sam wants to connect the original Pinball2000 computer to a TFT

Rüdiger
No, we bought a convertor from the same company that went the other way to try and connect nucore systems to the original monitor and they didn't work well at all. Sam may have better luck though.
cyclonemystery

Post by cyclonemystery »

Sam wrote:If you take a look at the pin layout on the p2k pc ( http://www.pinrepair.com/pin2000/index.htm#monitor ) pins 13 and 14 are the HS and VS signals. Which one should be connected to the S pin on that 5pin CGA connector on the converter card?

Sam

Hi Sam,
I' ve an another CGA/VGA convertor, but it is the same connector (but 6 pins).
The pinlayout for the "CGA input1 sync. combine", I believe is for you, because pin6 is not connected:
x6 NC
x5 H+V
x4 GND
x3 B
x2 G
x1 R

For "CGA Input2 sync seperate":
x6 V
x5 H
x4 GND
x3 B
x2 G
x1 R

I' m happy, because I finsihed the inserting of Nucore's great items in my SWE1. Only the sound is missing, I forgot to buy the sound amplifier by Nucore. So I have the original sound amplifier with no connection :?

This converter is mine

Rüdiger
Attachments
cgavga.jpg
cgavga.jpg (108.4 KiB) Viewed 26294 times
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

You can solder a Jack to the original amp. We have a guide on the wiki
Sam

Post by Sam »

Awesome, a 2nd option. Thanks, cyclone. How's the picture quality from the wei ya converter?

Sam
cyclonemystery

Post by cyclonemystery »

@chuck
I know the wiki from nucore, but there is no information
When using this modified PCB, you should not have both the PRISM card and 1/8" input connected simultaneously as the results of which are unknown (ie: you may damage one of the connected sources).

NOTE: Images temporarily removed as I discovered an error in my mod. The final version is working and updated photos and mod instructions (and some other info) will be coming in the next couple days.
@sam
I don't know the quality of the connector. I bought this in the past in according to fit a TFT in the RFM. But the original monitor shows no trouble and so I have a new unneeded part.

Rüdiger
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Rüdiger

I think Jazman wrote that. Eric A also did the same mod. You may want to PM one of them.
Jazman

Post by Jazman »

I pulled the pics because there was a problem with what was shown. I haven't gone back and re-took them yet (partly because it means opening up my finally completed and packaged system). If you look on the Pin2K schematics, you can see where they originally intended the 1/8" jack to be connected. You need to solder an 1/8" jack to those locations. You also need to solder in a jumper wire from 5V to the MUTE# signal.

Jaz
cyclonemystery wrote:@chuck
I know the wiki from nucore, but there is no information
When using this modified PCB, you should not have both the PRISM card and 1/8" input connected simultaneously as the results of which are unknown (ie: you may damage one of the connected sources).

NOTE: Images temporarily removed as I discovered an error in my mod. The final version is working and updated photos and mod instructions (and some other info) will be coming in the next couple days.
@sam
I don't know the quality of the connector. I bought this in the past in according to fit a TFT in the RFM. But the original monitor shows no trouble and so I have a new unneeded part.

Rüdiger
Jaz
TAF, IJ(93), RFM, SWE1(kit), BSD, Monopoly, LOTR