Original Audio Amp modification to use with Nucore

Talk about anything PB2K related.
knapejor

Re: Original Audio Amp modification to use with Nucore

Post by knapejor »

I found this : http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/196/1

Would that be a good option? Looks like it :)
Eric A.
Veteran

Post by Eric A. »

I guess I'm not following you. What are you trying to do? Turn the box on with the game power switch? Or have a momentary switch? If you want a momentary switch use this one:

http://www.frys.com/product/3536714?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG

It plugs right into your motherboard. If you want to turn on your system change the bios and it will come on with the switch being turned on from the game.
Eric A.
Veteran

Post by Eric A. »

By doing the modification shown in the following link! ;-) I already ran into EVERYTHING you guys can come up with when I was testing this damn thing! LOL! I was going the cheap ass route and using as many original items as possible. :-)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=907
knapejor

Post by knapejor »

Well, the power supply for the PC is not the problem, I use a switch (as you posted), but you told me
I need an additional power supply for the Audio Amp.

I can't connect two of those momentary switches to the motherboard right? So how do I power the second power supply to supply power to the Audio Amp?

Maybe I'm missing the point here, sorry for that :)
Eric A.
Veteran

Post by Eric A. »

LOL! I'm sorry I have an old ps with a switch on it so mine is easier. LOL! Sorry about that!

You can discard the switch and just jumper the black and green together with a piece of solder across a little section of stripped back wire or you can solder in a switch like they show.
knapejor

Post by knapejor »

haha well ok at least it's clear now :D

My Revenge from Mars should be running this weekend again.. *keeping fingers crossed*
Tower5

Post by Tower5 »

Update: I finally have my audio working. I went to Fry's and bought a Belkin audio chord extender and started the soldering from scratch. Success!
knapejor

Post by knapejor »

Tower5 wrote:Update: I finally have my audio working. I went to Fry's and bought a Belkin audio chord extender and started the soldering from scratch. Success!

What kind of cable did you use?

I have a stereo audio cable, with on two sides a RC jack connector, I was thinking of stripping it on one side
and solder it to the board.
Tower5

Post by Tower5 »

I used a Belkin 6 foot extention cable and cut off the female side. Worked great (buy at Fry's in the computer section).
Menace

Post by Menace »

Eric A. wrote:Actually I forgot about the ground loop noise that will occur if you use the original amp with the nucore computer power supply so you will need an external computer power supply for sure if you want to use the original audio amp.
Just wondering about this ground loop issue when using the original amp... I haven't looked at the schematics yet, but I'm not sure I understand why it's happening in the first place. WMS managed to power the amp from the same PS as the PC in the original design, so why are we having the issue with the nucore setup?

Beyond using a ground loop isolator between the sound out / in, anyone come up with another way to solve this?

Doug
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Menace wrote:
Eric A. wrote:Actually I forgot about the ground loop noise that will occur if you use the original amp with the nucore computer power supply so you will need an external computer power supply for sure if you want to use the original audio amp.
Just wondering about this ground loop issue when using the original amp... I haven't looked at the schematics yet, but I'm not sure I understand why it's happening in the first place. WMS managed to power the amp from the same PS as the PC in the original design, so why are we having the issue with the nucore setup?

Beyond using a ground loop isolator between the sound out / in, anyone come up with another way to solve this?

Doug
Doug,

The ground loop issue doesn't always occur. I believe it depends on the power supply used in the machine. The original amp received audio data in digital form and decoded it on the amp board. By jacking in to the amp board you are bypassing the digital section and you can get a ground loop situation.
Menace

Post by Menace »

Chuck wrote:Doug,

The ground loop issue doesn't always occur. I believe it depends on the power supply used in the machine. The original amp received audio data in digital form and decoded it on the amp board. By jacking in to the amp board you are bypassing the digital section and you can get a ground loop situation.
Perfect explanation, and what I figured was happening. Guess I'll install my amp tonight and see what happens!

Thx!

D
luvcraft

Post by luvcraft »

one of these would work for the power supply too, right?

http://tinyurl.com/2bnzvob

also, don't you mean "10 uF 50 volt capacitor" rather than "10 uF 50 volt resistor" on the "parts needed list"?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

luvcraft wrote:one of these would work for the power supply too, right?

http://tinyurl.com/2bnzvob
No. Amperage is too low. We use a power supply like that for our amp that has much higher power output. I think it runs about 25 bucks.