Few questions about NuCore

Talk about anything PB2K related.
knapejor

Few questions about NuCore

Post by knapejor »

Hi,

I'm going to order a NuCore Base package, and build the PC myself, but have some questions before I do so :

1. Our normal power outlets are 230V, the pinball 2000 PC is 110 I believe, when I build a computer and connect
the same power cable of the old PC, should I set the power supply to 110 V? (I think so)
2. What video card is recommended for the system to run smoothly?
3. I saw it's pretty easy to use the original audio amplifier, is the seperate Nucore audio amp better in quality?

Thank you for your help!

Jord
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Few questions about NuCore

Post by Chuck »

knapejor wrote:Hi,

I'm going to order a NuCore Base package, and build the PC myself, but have some questions before I do so :

1. Our normal power outlets are 230V, the pinball 2000 PC is 110 I believe, when I build a computer and connect
the same power cable of the old PC, should I set the power supply to 110 V? (I think so)
2. What video card is recommended for the system to run smoothly?
3. I saw it's pretty easy to use the original audio amplifier, is the seperate Nucore audio amp better in quality?

Thank you for your help!

Jord
1) If you are sure you have 110 going to the current computer then you can set the power supply in the new one to 110. A better idea is to buy an auto sensing power supply just in case.
2) If you are going to use the original monitor purchase and ultimarc arcade vga card. If you plan to use a LCD monitor (which I suggest) then nucore has been tested with ati, nvidia, and intel 810 graphics. Anything that linux supports we support since we don't make any hardware specific calls..
3) Our audio amp basically has the same ratings and quality of the original. If you have an original amp and can modify it there is no reason to buy ours.

If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks,

chuck
knapejor

Post by knapejor »

Firstly, thanks for the quick reply!

The power supply that is in the current computer is set to 110, so that should be ok.

Are there requirements for the video card? (memory / speed)
Nowadays motherboards have onboard videocards, will this be enough, or should I buy
an extra card for it?

I'm going to use a LCD screen btw, so no arcadeVGA needed.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

knapejor wrote:Firstly, thanks for the quick reply!

The power supply that is in the current computer is set to 110, so that should be ok.

Are there requirements for the video card? (memory / speed)
Nowadays motherboards have onboard videocards, will this be enough, or should I buy
an extra card for it?

I'm going to use a LCD screen btw, so no arcadeVGA needed.
Onboard video should be fine. If Linux supports it we also support it. We don't use 3d or hardware acceleration. We did this intentionally so we would be compatible with all video adapters.
knapejor

Post by knapejor »

Great thanks for the answers, I'm going to order the NuCore Base package soon now :D
knapejor

Post by knapejor »

I allready got the Base package in! :D

Now I only have to wait for my PC parts to arrive. One question, I think it's not possible, but if I would
install Ubuntu on a virtual machine would it be able to run NuCore? (Can't wait to see it in action ;))
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

knapejor wrote:I allready got the Base package in! :D

Now I only have to wait for my PC parts to arrive. One question, I think it's not possible, but if I would
install Ubuntu on a virtual machine would it be able to run NuCore? (Can't wait to see it in action ;))
You can but don't try to hook it to the real pinball. It won't run fast enough and might cause problems. You can run nucore without it being connected just specify rom type and dont specify parallel port from command line. Example:

/run nucore rfm15 -fullscreen
knapejor

Post by knapejor »

mm ok I tried it, but get the message : Could not detect an SMP (Multi/Dual or more core CPU Setup)!!!

I have a core2duo in this machine, any ideas on this? (Not that important as I will build the PC soon anyway)
knapejor

Post by knapejor »

I downloaded a Ubuntu ISO, and that was 32 bits, I think that could be the problem, as I read that for SMP, 64 bits version is required..
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

knapejor wrote:I downloaded a Ubuntu ISO, and that was 32 bits, I think that could be the problem, as I read that for SMP, 64 bits version is required..
You need the 32 bit iso. The error you're getting suggests that you're running the virtual machine with one core, Nucore requires at least a dual core setup.
knapejor

Post by knapejor »

Aargh how stupid of me :)
knapejor

Post by knapejor »

It's working! :)

Most likely I have the PC parts in today, so I hope I can get it working on that this weekend. :D
Eric A.
Veteran

Post by Eric A. »

knapejor wrote:Hi,

1. Our normal power outlets are 230V, the pinball 2000 PC is 110 I believe, when I build a computer and connect the power cable of the old PC, should I set the power supply to 110 V? (I think so)
Jord
YES, set your new computer to 110 volts as the plug that goes to the computer is getting the power from the secondary from the transformer. As a matter of fact, EVERYTHING inside the p2000 head that has a plug comes from the SECONDARY of the transformer. Pretty much everything you will work on in a p2000 is on the secondary of the transformer.

The only thing you will ever need to be cautious of is the "service" recepticle in the bottom of the game as that is on the primary/line side of the transformer and is at your line voltage of 230 vac. So make sure your soldering iron and if you get the "Nucore" audio amp (power supply supplied with the nucore audio amp) that they are both rated for 230 volts.
knapejor

Post by knapejor »

Got my system working, outside the pinball machine :)

Now first I'm going to modify the audio amp, and then mod the original case, or make a new one.

So far, so good :)