Help wanted

Talk about anything PB2K related.
mmix

Help wanted

Post by mmix »

Hi,
I am trying to get nucore running with a Parallel Port on a PCI-card. I also installed a Ubuntu-9 realtime distribution and can use the port from a Java program to control a Pinball 2000 machine, which works very well (using IRQ18, address 0xEC00).
However, the newcore software obviously doesn't recognize the port (message: "No driver board found. Using emulated port").
I traced the problem to a conflicting irq18: IRQ18 is used for uhci_hcd and is not available for the parallel port. dmesg|grep parport tells me:

Code: Select all

[   43.290470] parport0: PC-style at 0xec00, irq 18 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
[   43.292846] parport0: irq 18 in use, resorting to polled operation
[   45.387482] lp0: using parport0 (polling).
On the Ubuntu9 installation I see the following message:

Code: Select all

partport0: PC-style at 0xec00 irq 18 using FIFO
Has someone an idea what I could do?
Thanks
Axel
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Help wanted

Post by Chuck »

I'll move this to the support area shortly (since it's a support issue.)

The parallel port needs to use address 378 hex (0x378) which is the standard parallel port address. If you set your card to use this port you'll have no problems. We don't suggest you use ubuntu 9 because of Pulse Audio. Pulse Audio causes tons of problems with everything (google pulse audio and you'll see some of the issues.) We support the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS we shipped with your base package. Nucore should run on any version of linux that supports the required libraries but we have fully tested 8.04 and have no problems. The real-time kernel probably won't do much for you btw.
mmix

Post by mmix »

Thanks for your quick reply.
Do you have any experience in remapping modern PCI express card addresses?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

mmix wrote:Thanks for your quick reply.
Do you have any experience in remapping modern PCI express card addresses?
Unfortunately no. In a future release we are going to add support for upper addresses (assuming linux properly supports that type of card.)