unrealistic program request

Submit any ideas for the project here.
mickster

unrealistic program request

Post by mickster »

Ok, this is a little far out, but hey a guy can dream. Depending on how easy it is to pop out of the pinball os, you could have a video player that would play some off the pinball 2000 promotional videos. Sort of like a presentation system for the pinball machine. Sort of like the MAME intro videos before they go to the mame GUI. Then with the press of a button it would drop back into the pinball os.

Mickey
sellenoff
Project Developer

Re: unrealistic program request

Post by sellenoff »

mickster wrote:Ok, this is a little far out, but hey a guy can dream. Depending on how easy it is to pop out of the pinball os, you could have a video player that would play some off the pinball 2000 promotional videos. Sort of like a presentation system for the pinball machine. Sort of like the MAME intro videos before they go to the mame GUI. Then with the press of a button it would drop back into the pinball os.

Mickey
Hey Mickey -

Thanks for your suggestion. I think that's a really cool idea. We'll have to investigate how feasible it is to implement this idea once we've got everything else finished, but we'll definitely talk about it, since I think it's a very cool idea.

-Steve
tanthony

Post by tanthony »

Building on a prior post, how about being able to play a movie video clips? I could see SWE1 (which I've actually never played or seen so bear with me) playing a Star Wars Episode 1 video clip. You could cycle it in as an attract mode or as part of an intro or post game. Revenge from Mars... although not directly related to the movie Mars Attacks could probably leverage footage from that movie.
sellenoff
Project Developer

Post by sellenoff »

tanthony wrote:Building on a prior post, how about being able to play a movie video clips? I could see SWE1 (which I've actually never played or seen so bear with me) playing a Star Wars Episode 1 video clip. You could cycle it in as an attract mode or as part of an intro or post game. Revenge from Mars... although not directly related to the movie Mars Attacks could probably leverage footage from that movie.
Legally that wouldn't be possible, as we couldn't provide the copyrighted footage. If we could make the concept work though, we could allow users to insert their own video clips.

At this stage I'm not sure if we could pull it off, but maybe..
tanthony

Post by tanthony »

sellenoff wrote:
tanthony wrote:Building on a prior post, how about being able to play a movie video clips? I could see SWE1 (which I've actually never played or seen so bear with me) playing a Star Wars Episode 1 video clip. You could cycle it in as an attract mode or as part of an intro or post game. Revenge from Mars... although not directly related to the movie Mars Attacks could probably leverage footage from that movie.
Legally that wouldn't be possible, as we couldn't provide the copyrighted footage. If we could make the concept work though, we could allow users to insert their own video clips.

At this stage I'm not sure if we could pull it off, but maybe..
Yes, copyrights can be an issue. But then, I already own SWE1 on DVD. Alternatively, you could provide an original SWE1 DVD as part of a video package. If the DVD is included or an individual provides their own, I would think you could leverage it for the game under fair use.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

You probably couldn't do that legally because you'd have to crack the DVD's encryption in order to get those clips. That is a DMCA violation. They would definitely be better off just giving the ability to play clips and providing no content at all. It's not hard for folks to get their own DVDs to keep the authors violation free.