Bill Ung's RFM saucer mod

Submit any ideas for the project here.
Miracleman

Bill Ung's RFM saucer mod

Post by Miracleman »

Hi, I bought one of the saucer mod kits for when I eventually buy a RFM, and was wondering if this will work with the nucore system.
It comes with a board that plugs into the P2K computer, so I'm having doubts...
Here's the link to the installation page...
http://www.ufopinball.com/RFM-LED/install.htm

Sorry if this has been asked before!
Spencer
mjocean

Re: Bill Ung's RFM saucer mod

Post by mjocean »

While I'm not affiliated with either product, maybe I can provide a pointer to Steve or Chuck to answer more quickly. Looking at this card, it looks like they're just using some PCI card as a breadboard and there's no connectivity/pins to the motherboard. It gets separately connected to the power on the floppy drive.

See the picture here:
http://www.ufopinball.com/RFM-LED/Ports.htm

My guess is, as long as your new computer has a floppy lead on the power supply it will work, but I'd wait till the experts weigh in :-)

from the "about" the mod page:
The actual board was originally designed to mimic an ISA card that fits into the Pinball 2000 Motherboard (this has changed, see below). In actuality, there are no signal lines that run to the motherboard. Power will be supplied to the kit via a floppy drive power connector. I will be including an adapter with the board so that you can tap off the existing power wire bundle, without having to cut any of the existing zip-ties. The phone cords connect to the RFM-LED board through two access holes in the ISA bracket. I will get a better picture of this soon.
Last edited by mjocean on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Someone did ask us about that and while I havent seen the card in person I don't think it has any connectors so it *should* work fine.
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

Good to know that it should work with the Nucore system as I just ordered the same mod a few days ago!
sirscott
Veteran

Post by sirscott »

I have a spare Bill Ung RFM kit if you would have any interest in borrowing, at any time.
Last edited by sirscott on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Here is a "Make it yourself" mini saucer led mod (that definitely doesn't need to be plugged in to the P2K computer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oly_7UqneHg

However, I haven't tried it and I don't understand a word of the description that could be downloaded from www.pinballclube.com.br. But I guess the pictures in the description have all information you need to build it.