Worldwide Tournament Support

Submit any ideas for the project here.
freakandgeek

Worldwide Tournament Support

Post by freakandgeek »

It would be nice if the Worldwide Tournament feature that was done recently was still supported. I assume it will be...but figured I would mention it.

http://www.mypinballs.com/tournament/

- Kevin
ChadTower
Veteran

Re: Worldwide Tournament Support

Post by ChadTower »

Support for that is part of the base RFM software. Since NuCore isn't changing the RFM base logically NuCore would support the tournament so long as NuCore does retain standard network ability. The juke feature seems to bear that out. From the outside I see no reason NuCore doesn't already support the tournament. :D

I actually just picked up the network card Pin2k requires and will soon take a crack at getting this set up. I think the biggest issue for me, and for many others, is that the server end hard codes your local IP to identify you. Anyone set up with DHCP from their provider is going to have to keep track of when their external IP changes and report that to the tournament system. Not exactly convenient. Not to mention the barcode reader if you have more than one local player for the database.

Can't remember if this has been mentioned before but this is a great issue for future implementation here. Slap together a local player DB that can keep track of scores by player and keep personal statistics of whatever sort are available without too much effort. Put a short front end to determine who is playing as what player and maybe put up a presentation of player stats within the menu system. Or maybe a stripped down apache server for showing player stats and other such info. Eventually you could tie that to the tournament system and do away with the barcode reader entirely.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

We've been asked this question a few times and posted about it here at least once. Networking will not be functional at launch. It is one of our planned additions after launch.
applejuice

Post by applejuice »

I've been wanting to work with the nucore guys for some time on bringing some extras for their system when it hooks up to mine, but i think that is probably a future project for them. Last time i talked networking was going to be a future addition.

The ip address route is an alternative method to use if you don't fancy buying a barcode reader and if you get a static ip from your isp its no bother at all. I recommend getting a barcode reader as its great fun when your mates come over and i've just found a supplier selling them for under £55. :)

Regarding the developments of my system - just about to finalise my 1.2 system update which will move the system on to the next level. Amongst other things it will add extra tournament divisions for martian champions and attack mars champions. More details about that on my site soon.

If anyone would like to sign up for an account on my site i'd love to have you on board and am always happy to help with game setups.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim

http://tournament.mypinballs.com

"All parts should go together without forcing. Remember the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. If you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. Do not use a hammer." ~ IBM