Nucore Debian package for Lubuntu 18.04

Official announcements from the team.
zag

Nucore Debian package for Lubuntu 18.04

Post by zag »

i made two Nucore Debian packages for Lubuntu 18.04. One package contains the Nucore files from the official releases (CD version, 2.25, 2.25.3r) and the other the Lubuntu configuration files.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dxcqbwkn6egi ... NccAa?dl=0

Installation: (see also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71UUJktDfVs )

- Download the 32bit version of Lubuntu 18.04

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/relea ... p-i386.iso

- Connect the pc to the internet

- Boot your pc from the CD or a USB stick and install Lubuntu. During installation create the user nucore with the password nucore

- After the installation login as user nucore with the password nucore

- Download the Nucore Debian packages and install them.

- Copy your RFM and SWEP1 roms and firmware to the nucore installation - don't ask me for the roms. These are old Nucore files, which are not avaiable from bigguys anymore.

- Reboot

- Right click on the desktop opens a little start menu. Select File Manager and go to nucore - scripts

Double click on autostart-enable.sh to enable the autostart of Nucore after booting Lubuntu.

The scripts:

15khz-x11.sh: startscript for 15 khz
autostart-disable.sh: disables autostart of nucore
autostart-enable.sh: enables autostart of nucore
crt-15khz-enable.sh: enables the original 15 khz CRT monitor. CRT infos see below. *1
crt-15khz-disable.sh: disables 15 khz
start-nucore.sh: startscript for nucore.

Execute the script start-nucore.sh in a terminal for testing.

You can exit Nucore with the "," key to return to the desktop!

- During the first Nucore start you have to accept the license agreement - press both action buttons.

If Nucore crashes while starting, reboot the pc.

CRT 15 khz monitor:

The original 15 khz CRT Pinball 2000 monitors might need additional configuration and an older ATI video card (3xxxx-5xxxx) with VGA/DVI output. But not all ATI cards work! I use a cheap ATI 5450 and a 3870. if you looking for a used one, choose a card with a fan. Fanless ATI video cards can get very hot under Linux without the powerplay drivers.

15 khz configuration:

The script 15khz-x11.sh expects that the CRT monitor is connected to the VGA-0 port of the video card.

If you use another port, you have to change all strings "VGA-0" in the script 15khz-x11.sh to your port name - e.g. VGA-1, VGA1, VGA0, DVI-1 ...

Open a terminal (right click on the desktop for the little start menu, then click Terminal)

Type: xrandr --listmonitors

Monitors: 1
0: +*VGA-1 1440/381x798/211+0+0 VGA-1

In this case, there is only one monitor connected to VGA-1

Test your configuration with the 15khz-x11.sh cript. You may have to move a window around the edges of the screen, in order to see the window on the CRT monitor. The Pinball 2000 monitor has usually a smaller resolution und shows only a part of the "bigger" pc monitor.

With an older computer and/or a slow harddrive you may have to increase the figure behind "sleep" in the script nucore/scripts/start-nucore.sh! Start with 10 or 15. (This is the timer for the countdown to start the 15 khz modeline after starting Nucore.)

German thread (Flippermarkt.de): https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/f ... te.197427/

--- Bugs

+ USB bug:
- press F1 to leave Nucore, press the right mouse button on the desktop and select the terminal. Type:

sudo apt-get remove usbmount # then press return

----
v003 (test version): This version still uses suid, which will be removed later via udev. No firewall iptables configuration yet.
Last edited by zag on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:42 am, edited 9 times in total.
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Nucore Debian package for Lubuntu 18.04

Post by Chuck »

Thanks for creating this.
ThomazPom

Post by ThomazPom »

Thank you zag for your awesome post.

Do yo know that if you manage to get the rom and put them into their right place like you did in the video, then run the following command

Code: Select all

./run nucore swe1_14
a fatal error about pb2kslib shows up.

Do you have the same issue ?
ThomazPom

Post by ThomazPom »

ThomazPom wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:03 pm Thank you zag for your awesome post.

Do yo know that if you manage to get the rom and put them into their right place like you did in the video, then run the following command

./run nucore swe1_14
a fatal error about pb2kslib shows up.

Do you have the same issue ?
Got it ! For whoever wondering : double check your roms names ! The 2 biggest of them must be named rfm_nucore.bin & swe1_nucore.bin
ThomazPom

Post by ThomazPom »

I got it working on x64 with the following commands :

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update -yq
sudo apt-get install libc6:i386 libncurses5:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libsdl-image1.2:i386 libstdc++5:i386 libvorbisfile3:i386  -yq 
nicoco44

Post by nicoco44 »

Hello,
first of all, thank you for your works.
Unfortunatly It didn't work well for me. Sometimes evrything's fine and I can play for hours, but often nucore doesn't want to lauch. When I try from the terminal I've got this error message: " a seg fault has occured".
The computer used is an optiplex 755 core 2 duo with 4 Gb of ram.
regards
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

We log errors in one of the nucore sub folders. Grab the log files and look for errors. If you see any post them here. Could also just be the os.
nicoco44

Post by nicoco44 »

Hi,
I have seen the log files.
When it crash, there is nothing about an error in the log files.
I have just seen with various experiments that it works the first time I change the parallele port address in the bios. It always work with the emulated parallele port.
Finally I stay on the official computeur despite the reset when the pinball is "cold", waiting for my new psu.
Regards
Nicolas
mazzaneo

Post by mazzaneo »

Thanks for this great post!
As a new user who just got a Revenge From Mars Im a little confused.

[Removed part of post]

Thanks
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Do not post requests for ROMs on this site.
fcorth

Post by fcorth »

Hello,

I'm in Switzerland (french part) and I'm trying to install the nucore packages on my computer. I followed step by step the youtube video.

I was able to install the first package (nucore-2.25.3r-package-v003-wahcade.deb) on lubuntu. But, when I try to install the second one (configuration), the system tells me that this package is not a Debian package (the MIME of this file is «application/x-debian-package» and can't be installed on this system).

Do you ever encounter this problem ? How could I resolve that ?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

François
retroactive

Post by retroactive »

I've been experimenting with this package... I've a Dell Optiplex 960 SFF. It has built in video but I've installed a Radeon HD-5450 so that I can run this with the CRT.

I've found (but have not yet solved) an issue with this installation on my hardware. Almost every time my system starts it has a problem where there is an entire shutdown of the lamps on the playfield. This is so very brief it is like a flicker, and I hear the power relay click momentarily. The frequency of this interruption is approximately one in ten seconds.

I'm digging into the kernel to determine what it is that may be running that is interfering with the IO of the parallel port.

I understand this is likely very specific to my hardware but am posting it here in the event that someone has seen or solved this issue. I am SO CLOSE, if this can be solved it would be beyond great.

Thank you zag for the work you've done here... not sure this would have been possible without someone taking this on.