RFM Questions

Eddie
Veteran

RFM Questions

Post by Eddie »

I have now had my RFM for 3 days and have some questions that I cant seem to find answers to in the PDF manual or online.

How can you set the High Scores to zero so that the scores in my house become the High Scores and can they be initialized?

My Right flipper seems to be weak, what coil should I use as a replacement or are RFM flipper coils still available?

When using the Diagnostic for the solenoids, the Hold Test for the flippers does not activate the Right flipper Yet the hold works during gameplay!

Aside of a new fan,fuses and AT power source what are the best preventative items to install to avoid common failures?

Is it ok to shutdown the machine when not in use?

Is it better to turn the machine on via power strip with the machine on/off switch left on. or just power up using the machines on/off switch with the surge protector left on?

Are there any specific Pinball Lubricants for solenoid and their related linkages?

Am I asking too many questions?

Thx in Advance!
mjocean

Re: RFM Questions

Post by mjocean »

Eddie wrote:I have now had my RFM for 3 days and have some questions that I cant seem to find answers to in the PDF manual or online.

How can you set the High Scores to zero so that the scores in my house become the High Scores and can they be initialized?
According to the manual it is under the utilities menu ... I don't remember being able to find it myself.
Eddie wrote:
My Right flipper seems to be weak, what coil should I use as a replacement or are RFM flipper coils still available?

When using the Diagnostic for the solenoids, the Hold Test for the flippers does not activate the Right flipper Yet the hold works during gameplay!
pass...
Eddie wrote: Aside of a new fan,fuses and AT power source what are the best preventative items to install to avoid common failures?
http://www.pinrepair.com/pin2000/index.htm
Eddie wrote: Is it ok to shutdown the machine when not in use?
Yes. Most personal collectors leave them off. In fact, it's gotta be better to not leave them running all the time w.r.t. monitor wear and the CPU time.
Eddie wrote: Is it better to turn the machine on via power strip with the machine on/off switch left on. or just power up using the machines on/off switch with the surge protector left on?
I personally turn each machine on/off at their individual switches and then turn on/off the strip. Look at the wiring schematic: Both ways are cutting the main power.
So I can't imagine that it matters which you do.
Eddie wrote: Are there any specific Pinball Lubricants for solenoid and their related linkages?
This is in the manual somewhere, but by and large pinball machines don't require lubricant. There are maybe two places that can be lubricated, but if you put lubricant in coil sleeves, etc you will gum them up and ruin them.
Eddie wrote: Am I asking too many questions?
Only if you don't need the answers...
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

Thx for your reply.

I know about the utlities screen and see the Highscore options but I just dont understand them Not intuitive so to speak.

I wouldnt want to mess up settings and not have any Highscores default or other.

I have also been to the site that you directed me to many times (Even before I bought the machine (Im anal that way) Just thought that owners of RFM might have encountered other common problems that have not been addressed on that site.

I didnt know that the machines On/Off switch cut off all of the power. Thats good to know.
I collect Pachislo and Pachinko machines and even with the On/Off switch turned off the machines transformers remain on. Thats why I turn them off with the power strip

The Nucore system looks like a very exciting upgrade and would really extend the life of RFM well into the future. Cant wait for it.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I do encourage people to post game specific pin2k info just make sure you post it in the proper thread. thanks
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

Was this posted in the wrong thread ? If so sorry for the mistake ,Which area should it have been posted in?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Eddie wrote:Was this posted in the wrong thread ? If so sorry for the mistake ,Which area should it have been posted in?
No biggie. You posted it in the nucore thread so I moved it here ;-)
mjocean

Post by mjocean »

Eddie wrote: I know about the utlities screen and see the Highscore options but I just dont understand them Not intuitive so to speak.

I wouldnt want to mess up settings and not have any Highscores default or other.
Absolutely. They're a bit weird relative to older machines that had reset high scores at an outter most menu. It's under Utilities->Reset Menu->Reset High Scores. There's also an option to reset the scores after some number of games. Once you reset, you'll probably want to make that number very high so as not to lose your high score.

I think there's a way to disable high scores entirely, but thankfully I don't know how to do it ;-)
Eddie wrote: I have also been to the site that you directed me to many times (Even before I bought the machine (Im anal that way) Just thought that owners of RFM might have encountered other common problems that have not been addressed on that site.
Me too. It's invaluable. As for other things to look for, there's the .de site: http://www.pinball2000.de/ and of course the Tilt! move: http://www.tilt-movie.com/

Enjoy!!
- Michael
taco

Post by taco »

Flipper issue is probably an incorrectly adjusted end of stroke switch on the flipper. You want it to close the switch just as the flipper completes the stroke. Close it too soon and weak flippers..... I had to adjust my flippers when I got my RFM. It may take some trial and error to get the thing just right.

Be sure to read up on Fliptronic flippers in the marvin guides....
FatTony

Post by FatTony »

Taco I think you dropped some lettuce...

If the EOS switches turn out to be a non-issue you may want to try a flipper rebuild kit from Pinballlife.com. Sometimes when the flipper hold doesn't move the flipper in test it is because of a physical restriction on the mechanics of the flipper. I.E. gunked up coil sleeve deforemed flipper components.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I ALWAYS rebuild flippers whenever I buy a used machine from someone. It's cheap and easy to do. Once you rebuild them you will most likely never need to do it again unless the machine gets a ton of play (assuming home use only)
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

Thx for all of the great answers.

I have been to all of the Pinball 2000 sites that I can find and was probably the first buyer of the movie Tilt. (It was the reason I went out and bought Revenge From Mars)

I have ordered many parts just in case something goes afoul with the machine. However I cant seem to find Pinball 2000 specific flipper rebuild kits?

I did order one kit from Pinballlife.com with other things but the flipper kit was not shipped.

When I score some flipper rebuild kits they will be installed right away. (Same as with the Nucore system)!

Will the fact that the hold during the diagnostics is not working, cause any flipper coil or other damage? It seems as if now the left flipper Hold test does not activate the left flipper, Yet it to works during gameplay.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

No damage if you fix it in a reasonable amount of time. The flipper still works because it's using the high-strenth winding.
yetterben

Post by yetterben »

Illinois pinball has all the parts you need!