What CPU fan do you suggest?

Eddie
Veteran

What CPU fan do you suggest?

Post by Eddie »

Untill I get a Nucore system I would like to make my RFM as reliable as possible. I want to install the best CPU fan that can be found for it would anyone have suggestions? Which fans do you use? Thx
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: What CPU fan do you suggest?

Post by Chuck »

Eddie wrote:Untill I get a Nucore system I would like to make my RFM as reliable as possible. I want to install the best CPU fan that can be found for it would anyone have suggestions? Which fans do you use? Thx
I would just remove your existing one and head to a local computer components store. Those fans generally last a long time and run about 7-10 bucks. Replace your original with a new one and you shouldn't have any problems.
mattosborn

Post by mattosborn »

This one has worked great in my RFM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835150010

$12.99, with free shipping. It's pretty big (which is good), but you may have trouble getting it to fit on some motherboards.
I ordered another one for the SWE1 I just bought the other night.

Matt
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

THX for the tip! Did you have any troubles installing it in your RFM?
mattosborn

Post by mattosborn »

Getting the heatsink clamped on can be a bit of a challenge... I suggest you take the computer box completely out of the machine and set it down on a table to work on it. And the fan comes with a 3-pin connector, which you'll likely hack off since you'll probably be hooking it up to just two pins (+12V and GND).
Great cooler though. Even if the fan croaked (which is unlikely) I think the heatsink alone is enough to keep the CPU cool (assuming the PS fan is still alive and moving air through the computer case).

For a power supply I installed an Antec SmartPower, which monitors the temperature and varies the speed of its fan accordingly. Not sure where to find those anymore... they only make ATX supplies now.
mattosborn

Post by mattosborn »

Hey, I just noticed that the motherboard in my SWE1 has a 3-pin fan connector. I'll give that a shot when my new cooler shows up.
mattosborn

Post by mattosborn »

Yup, the fan was just plug-n-play on that motherboard. My RFM has a different motherboard, and I don't recall seeing a 3-pin fan connector on it.