removing the head

ChadTower
Veteran

removing the head

Post by ChadTower »

Tomorrow I have to remove the head of my RFM so I can move it into my basement. I've heard that this is a bit of a pain. Anything I should watch out for? I don't really want to do it but the bulkhead opening leaves me no choice.
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: removing the head

Post by Chuck »

It's not that hard really. Take the computer out. Make sure before you remove the head that all of the cables are disconnected. The head is a little heavy and difficult for one person to carefully lift off of the machine. I do it by myself but would rather have help ;-) If you aren't already familiar with monitors be very careful not to bang the board at the end of the tube. You probably wouldn't do this anyway but just make sure you don't.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

I'm good with monitors - I've fixed them from b/w to vector to raster - so I'm good there. I just wanted to see if there was any weird surprise like a hidden harness you might miss or the notorious Sys7 keyed-alike connectors that if reattached reversed will fry your whole PCB set.

Yes, I did that to my Laser Cue. :oops:
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

Update: it's on. To get it into the house from the shed I had to pull the playfield, pull the head, pull the computer from the head, bring all of the pieces down the stairs separately, and reassemble it all. Putting the head back on after putting the cabinet on its legs was not easy but I managed it alone without damaging anything.

And in better news... I bought it as a project after it showed up to an auction DOA... and all of the issues were move related. I don't know who moved this thing but they even managed to knock off the anode cap in transit! I reseated everything, replaced the anode, and it fired up well. I have a couple of minor switch issues to track down but for the price I paid I'm ecstatic. :mrgreen: