My monitor just packed up

woodlouse

My monitor just packed up

Post by woodlouse »

:( Shortly after turning on, the display went black and I heard crackling noise from backbox. The image returned briefly then crackled again, went black and stayed black.
Monitor is a WG 7302. Any ideas what might have failed??
Thanks
ChadTower
Veteran

Re: My monitor just packed up

Post by ChadTower »

With that desc it could have been anything but my money is on the flyback transformer.

Have you moved the game recently?
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

No I haven't moved it recently.
I'm thinking its probably the flyback transformer. There was no discharge from the tube connector when I shorted it to the chassis.
I've taken the board out and there's nothing visible burnt, but I did smell a bit of hot plastic when it failed.
I don't want to spend to much fixing it with nucore pending but it would be good to get it going again.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

woodlouse wrote:There was no discharge from the tube connector when I shorted it to the chassis.
How exactly did you determine that? Most of the time you're not going to see a spark or hear a pop. It discharges without visible results.
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

How exactly did you determine that? Most of the time you're not going to see a spark or hear a pop. It discharges without visible results.
I haven't touched a CRT tube for years. Last time was working on mono tv sets which I remembered as making a hearty crack/sparks - but this was a long time ago so I could be wrong.
Anyway, I've ordered a LOPT and some caps. I also got a repair guide and troubleshooting flow chart for WG 7302 (copies available if anyone wants one).
I am feeling fairly positive that I can fix it now.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

Let us know how it goes. CRT monitors are pretty simple once you've done a bunch of them.
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

I changed the caps and flyback but still no neck glow and no image.
Checked the CRT heater - open circuit :cry:
I should have checked that first.
Now I REALLY need nucore.
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

Do you have a tube rejuvinator? Longshot with an open heater but it could work...
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

ChadTower wrote:Do you have a tube rejuvinator? Longshot with an open heater but it could work...
No I don't have access to one. I'm planning to put in a PC monitor and a cheap $50 video converter to keep it going until nucore is released.
woodlouse

Post by woodlouse »

Update
Today I took out the old monitor and put in a 22" lcd.
Yes, I know I said I wanted to use a CRT pc monitor but when it came to it I didn't fancy the hassle of dismantling one and trying to squeeze all its bits in the backbox, mount the adjustment panel somewhere, avoid all the high voltage flying around etc.
Anyway, I got an LG2243S 22", cheapest LCD I could find at that size (£120). I also bought an ACV-011 CGA to VGA converter for $50 from ebay.
This combination works fine only issue was that the image was way over to the right and I had to adjust the position shift to it's fullest extent to centralise the image.
Black level is poor to be honest but I'm hoping I can improve that with further tweaking.
At the end of the day I am pleased to be up and running and zapping martians again, for not too much money. Plus I'm now ready (monitor-wise) for nucore :)
luvcraft

Post by luvcraft »

can you give me a link for the converter you used? I have a Neo-Geo that I'd like to convert to LCD. Thanks!