Game Locked on Free Play Can't Make Changes

imjay

Game Locked on Free Play Can't Make Changes

Post by imjay »

Hello
We recently bought a RFM and over the past week I've brought it up to near 100% operational play BUT when we bought it it was in a Free Play only mode. Using the usual coin door buttons I can access the “utilities” menu but it won’t let me make changes. I read online that in earlier models if someone invoked the “disable updates” then the utilities menu would not allow you to change that status.

After a little online research, I got a keyboard, plugged it in and the game splashed the shell command page with the “command prompt” which is %. When I type in the recommended command “fenable updates” the command seems to be recognized but the shell closes and the game boots back in the same, unchanged status.

The System info shown on the shell is:
Game {Bally-Revenge From Mars – 50070-0.1
Type {Production Build Free_Play_Only
Software Version shows 0.1

While the game boots and the game goes through the diagnostics is does show one error: “Bad Update Game Code Checksum”

I decided to try a software version update and I’ve downloaded the Software Updater program and version 1.5 of the game software onto a compatible PC BUT I can’t get the game to allow me to activate COMM1 or COMM2 communication ports so I don’t think it will allow me to load the new software into Prism memory.

Maybe I should just be happy that I can restore the game to 100% play/functions but I think the disability is causing me to miss bug fixes and other improvements in the 1.5 software load (plus I want the doggone problem fixed!!).

Any and all help and suggestions very much appreciated.
Thank You
Jim
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Game Locked on Free Play Can't Make Changes

Post by Chuck »

Have you tried to hook a pc up to the pin's computer and started the Update? If so and you can't get an available com port are you sure it's not on the pc end?
applejuice

Post by applejuice »

Are you able to turn off the update flash rom from the normal game menus? If so disable it.

Then remove computer and check inside computer that the ribbon cable from the 9-pin header is on the correct port - com1 and is connected the correct way round pin1 red to pin 1 on the motherboard etc Williams had quality control issues with certain rfm builds!!!

Then connect a null modem cable (make sure it is one of these not any other serial cable) directly to the com1 port of the rfm computer and to the com port on the pc. Run update manager and see if connects. Report any issues back here.

Jim

http://tournament.mypinballs.com
Jim

"All parts should go together without forcing. Remember the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. If you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. Do not use a hammer." ~ IBM
imjay

Post by imjay »

UPDATE
I got hold of a good "null modem" cable this afternoon, booted my PC, opened the Updater app, connected the cable to the game, powered up the game.

I got a good connection to the game.

The Updated app located the 1.5 update on my HDD.

I told it to run the update about 30 minutes ago.

At first, the game monitor showed "update in progress" with a progress bar - the PC app showed "update in progress" after about 10 min. the screen on the game went white/blank. The PC is showing the "hour glass" but no progress for the update.

I don't know if I have a problem with the flash memory module on the Prism Card or some other problem.

I GUESS MY QUESTIONS ARE
How long do I wait before I re-boot and try again?
If the update doesn't complete will it mean that my legacy flash files will be blown out?

I can leave the PC and game on over night but some suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Thanks
imjay

Post by imjay »

OKAY- panic attack is over - got my "panties" out of the wad.

I turned off the game - forced the app to close - then restarted the updated app, booted the game, opened the connection, re-selected the COMM1 and enabled the Software Update - re-started the update and it all seems to be going okay.

Maybe I'm gonna be okay after all!

My excuse is we have like five 90s Williams WPC games and this damn Pin2000 game is a whole different animal!
applejuice

Post by applejuice »

Sometimes the update just freezes towards the end of the update. I've done updates hundreds of times and never really worked out why. Its just a bit flakey!

You can try slowing the baud rate of the serial connection, but that doesn't always make a difference

Usually on the highest serial speed the update should take about 8-10 mins

If the update doesn't work, just power off everything and retry. The update should say completed on the game screen, verify and auto reboot once completed

The other alternative is to get hold of a pub card :)
Jim

"All parts should go together without forcing. Remember the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. If you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. Do not use a hammer." ~ IBM