Picked up a NOS SWE1 kit

habosarcade

Picked up a NOS SWE1 kit

Post by habosarcade »

Maybe I'm doing this backwards but I picked up a kit before having the cabinet to play on. Anyway, I've wanted to get a RFM for a while now and with NUCORE on the way it’s going to be my next game. I'll have to take pix of the kit for my site sometime.

I took the kit out of the box to inspect everything and it really is a nifty design. The plug n play ability and being able to pull a playfield out of the cabinet easily to shop is a great concept. After watching TILT and reading what I can find Pin2K really was ahead of it's time. Allowing the games to run on typical PC architecture was a step in the right direction. All the talk recently for Stern to incorporate a LCD screen to replace the DMD or even the translite could have been so much easier with this platform.

Just had a thought that adding a second monitor for the translite would be a cool idea also. Maybe to display CD covers, photos or personalized banners - hell why not for browsing the web?

Hats off to you guys at NUCORE for you’re hard work!
Jazman

Re: Picked up a NOS SWE1 kit

Post by Jazman »

You didn't happen to buy the one Ron's in NJ did you?
Jaz
TAF, IJ(93), RFM, SWE1(kit), BSD, Monopoly, LOTR
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

habosarcade wrote: Just had a thought that adding a second monitor for the translite would be a cool idea also. Maybe to display CD covers, photos or personalized banners - hell why not for browsing the web?

It would take some real forethought to be able to browse the web with four buttons and no mouse. Possible but difficult given the complex presentation of today's web pages. Maybe really tall people could do it with a touchscreen. :D

It does raise an interesting question, though. Will Nucore be able to coexist with other apps? Say a person wanted to replace that backglass with an LCD and put a video streaming client on the box. Is Nucore running as a true embedded app or is it a regular focused app running in Linux?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

ChadTower wrote:
habosarcade wrote: Just had a thought that adding a second monitor for the translite would be a cool idea also. Maybe to display CD covers, photos or personalized banners - hell why not for browsing the web?

It would take some real forethought to be able to browse the web with four buttons and no mouse. Possible but difficult given the complex presentation of today's web pages. Maybe really tall people could do it with a touchscreen. :D

It does raise an interesting question, though. Will Nucore be able to coexist with other apps? Say a person wanted to replace that backglass with an LCD and put a video streaming client on the box. Is Nucore running as a true embedded app or is it a regular focused app running in Linux?
It's a focused app. This fact should make for some very interesting mods ;-) Running mame on a pinball 2000 machine??? I thought of that one early on ;-)
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

I can't say MAME appeals to me nor would be all that practical... but being able to stream music videos rather than just mp3s does. Visual Pinball does have some potential. If someone were to replace the backglass with an LCD, as mentioned above, the multipurpose potential of the platform jumps quite a bit as well as the potential for new ways to leverage pin2k itself.
habosarcade

Post by habosarcade »

Rons was a little cheaper but was listed a few days after I picked this one up.

After seeing some of the Future Pin stuff with people installing 2 monitors (1 for the playfield 1 for the trans.) I got to thinking how much space is taken up by it. Having the Marquee showing then going into a screen saver/juke mode with photos or something would be cool. Space is a commodity in my basement and thought well if it's really a PC it would be cool to be able to use it as one for a quick browse. On the other hand you have to watch for viruses maleware or plain buggy updates from the manufacturer.