A most interesting bit of news.

epthegeek

A most interesting bit of news.

Post by epthegeek »

So I read on RGP this weekend that Gene Cunningham is talking about making a run at Wizard Blocks after doing a run of Kingpin (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... aee7905f4d#)

This is great news (I hope)!

Now I need to find a beatup/non-working cheap pin2k to start rehabbing the cabinet to have a shell to put it in someday.
Pinball Wizard

Re: A most interesting bit of news.

Post by Pinball Wizard »

I talked to someone on Oct. 2 who had claimed that apparently Chuck and Don has signed a deal with illinois Pinball regarding the production of both Wizard Blocks and Playboy, obviously running NuCore. No clue how accurate that it was but I figured I'd pass on the news.
The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better." So I installed LINUX!

Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I do love rumors =)

The truth of the matter is Don and I don't announce anything until it's well underway. Now, we have explored doing Wizard Blocks and will be talking about it at Expo next week (Friday 22nd 11am CST.) So if you're planning on heading to Expo make sure you see our seminar. Plus we'll be officially announcing the Network/Tournament server code.
Pinball Wizard

Post by Pinball Wizard »

Chuck, I can't make it to the Expo this year, you gonna be able to get a recording of your presentation for the rest of us? I was there last year and saw your presentation, love hearing about these kind of projects and talking to you guys in person but things just are permitting this year.

Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I'm sure Martin at Pinball News will record it again.
Pinball Wizard

Post by Pinball Wizard »

Anyone interested in putting out there guesses for what kind of announcement we're going to hear? I'm not giving anything out to the winner, but you get bragging rights.

My Predictions:
- Gene has signed a deal with Chuck and Don to put out Wizard Blocks
- Someone (perhaps Chuck and Don) have finished up key missing pieces to game code
- Offered in 3 levels for sale:
1) Just playfield and cabinet art, will work with special NuCore disc
2) Same a 1, but with the NuCore complete package bundled
3) Full game built from scratch, running NuCore
- Might be going out on a limb, but a timing matches up, Planetary Pinball Supply is the manufacture (I come up with this one because of such interesting timing and the fact that Gene isn't legally allowed to manufacture games under illinois Pinball)

Just putting my predictions out there, and I want others' predictions on this one. What do you all think is coming?

NOTE: I HAVE NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE AND I AM NOT PORTRAYING THIS A FACTUAL INFORMATION, JUST PREDICTIONS OF WHAT I THINK IS COMING

@Chuck, you should probably get a kick out of some of the ideas we come up with so enjoy the humor.

epthegeek

Post by epthegeek »

Have to remember that it's not just missing code, but a lot of missing art (according to Lawlor).

I want so very badly for this to be true. Which means it probably won't be.
Pinball Wizard

Post by Pinball Wizard »

The major part of artwork that I heard was missing at the time was playfield art. Then this came around: http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4489&picno=38641

I saw that in person at pinball expo last year, full sized and all. Artwork issues could possibly tie this more to Planetary Pinball Supply since they seemed to rush on putting up their 2 artists on their site (which is a direct copy from CPR).

Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Pinball Wizard wrote:@Chuck, you should probably get a kick out of some of the ideas we come up with so enjoy the humor.
Good stuff.
Pinball Wizard

Post by Pinball Wizard »

Well, I finally got the poor man's expo info (pinballnews.com). Wizard Blocks was being pushed ahead, Planetary Pinball seems to have thrown a wrench in the process just because details aren't secured. It isn't Planetary Pinballs fault but the project is on hold right now. Chuck suspects that the playfield kits are going to be ~$5000-$7000. It's out of my price range just by itself and I'd still need to add on the cost of NuCore. If all goes well maybe NuCore and Planetary Pinball will put some oomph back into pinball and we'll see a second manufacture again ;)

Good luck Chuck and Don. I hope that all goes well and I can't wait to hear the audio of your presentation, I die for the kind of technical stuff Don apparently when into. Especially can't wait for source code for the tournament software.

Menace

Post by Menace »

Pinball Wizard wrote:Well, I finally got the poor man's expo info (pinballnews.com). Wizard Blocks was being pushed ahead, Planetary Pinball seems to have thrown a wrench in the process just because details aren't secured. It isn't Planetary Pinballs fault but the project is on hold right now. Chuck suspects that the playfield kits are going to be ~$5000-$7000. It's out of my price range just by itself and I'd still need to add on the cost of NuCore. If all goes well maybe NuCore and Planetary Pinball will put some oomph back into pinball and we'll see a second manufacture again ;)

Good luck Chuck and Don. I hope that all goes well and I can't wait to hear the audio of your presentation, I die for the kind of technical stuff Don apparently when into. Especially can't wait for source code for the tournament software.
As always I enjoyed the Nucore seminar, but there are things you can only experience if you attend Expo... The stories we got to hear about after the seminar was over were priceless!!! (BBH release party, and in particular a certain person in attendance!) Still getting a good laugh out of that one...

Now if I could only find that $1 Million I had laying around I could put it to good use (cough*wb*cough)... Off to check my couch cushions! :)

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys again.

Doug
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Menace wrote:
Pinball Wizard wrote:Well, I finally got the poor man's expo info (pinballnews.com). Wizard Blocks was being pushed ahead, Planetary Pinball seems to have thrown a wrench in the process just because details aren't secured. It isn't Planetary Pinballs fault but the project is on hold right now. Chuck suspects that the playfield kits are going to be ~$5000-$7000. It's out of my price range just by itself and I'd still need to add on the cost of NuCore. If all goes well maybe NuCore and Planetary Pinball will put some oomph back into pinball and we'll see a second manufacture again ;)

As always I enjoyed the Nucore seminar, but there are things you can only experience if you attend Expo... The stories we got to hear about after the seminar was over were priceless!!! (BBH release party, and in particular a certain person in attendance!) Still getting a good laugh out of that one...

Now if I could only find that $1 Million I had laying around I could put it to good use (cough*wb*cough)... Off to check my couch cushions! :)

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys again.

Doug
It was good seeing you. Hopefully you guys will make the trip for PatZ. If the planets align it should be memorable. You should have been around Saturday night. A bunch of us ended up in the sushi bar upstairs and I had a few martinis ;-)
Pinball Wizard

Post by Pinball Wizard »

Any updates for us Chuck? At least let us know that you aren't commenting or something if you would. Knowing that you "won't comment" is better than leaving me hanging. I'm sure it's a blast for you to be working on this but it's killing me not knowing anything!

Thanks as always for your hard work!

Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Honestly there is nothing happening right now from our side. I plan to talk to Gene soon to see what his current direction is. Don and I really needed a break from Nucore after the tournament code and server were completed. We've worked for 3 or 4? straight years on Nucore and everyone needs a vacation now and then =) Especially since Nucore has occupied most of our spare time in addition to our jobs. The good news is Rick at Planetary Pinball is very easy to work with and I hope that change in the rights landscape will bring us WB sooner than later.
Pinball Wizard

Post by Pinball Wizard »

That's cool, I understand the need for a good long vacation after such a strenuous project. I hope you enjoy vacation, but don't enjoy it too much or you may never come back :twisted: .... I don't even currently own a NuCore system to even be able to buy a WB kit of any sort, this stuff just interests me, especially projects like you and Don do.