Any news on Wizard Blocks?

Kenbo
Veteran

Any news on Wizard Blocks?

Post by Kenbo »

I'm curious if anything new is happening with Wizard Blocks.

Have there been any discussions with Gene on IP or anything else that might be required?
Has any source code surfaced?

'BigGuys' probably wouldn't be the ones to make the game, but with NuCore the computing
platform issue would be solved.

Maybe the software would have to rewritten from scratch but maybe that could be done
as a public domain group project. I'd sure be willing to offer coding time to do this.
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Any news on Wizard Blocks?

Post by Chuck »

No news on Wizard block. At some point when there is news it will be posted here.

And as far as us finishing the game Don and I have both published games. As a matter of fact we have written about 10 or so games between us. A few we worked on together. Writing game software for pin2k is relatively easy compared to a full-blown pc game.

It would be really cool to have a Wizard Blocks kit with a Nucore pc behind it...
FritzStudio

Post by FritzStudio »

would you use the actual pre-existing pin2k engine/environment to make a new game? linux OS?

realtime 3d or all prerendered like i assume Pin2k is currently?

this and 2000 more questions await!

MikeO
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

*if* someone wanted to do wizard block nucore could run it.

*if* someone had the original source code it would probably be best finished as a true pin2k game (same api's etc)

*if* there is no source code to be found then there are all sorts of additional questions need to be asked before giving a platform recommendation.

*if* I had a million dollars we wouldn’t have to eat Kraft dinner (sorry, had to - woot. bonus points for naming the band)

BGP will do anything we can to see additional games on the pin2k platform.

Sorry I don't have time to take additional questions
(walks away from the podium while some annoying reporter from Telemundo badgers me about the possibility of a Cinco De Mayo pin)

hopefully more on this subject later...
sellenoff
Project Developer

Post by sellenoff »

Chuck wrote:*if* someone wanted to do wizard block nucore could run it.

*if* someone had the original source code it would probably be best finished as a true pin2k game (same api's etc)

*if* there is no source code to be found then there are all sorts of additional questions need to be asked before giving a platform recommendation.

*if* I had a million dollars we wouldn’t have to eat Kraft dinner (sorry, had to - woot. bonus points for naming the band)

BGP will do anything we can to see additional games on the pin2k platform.

Sorry I don't have time to take additional questions
(walks away from the podium while some annoying reporter from Telemundo badgers me about the possibility of a Cinco De Mayo pin)

hopefully more on this subject later...
BNL
FatTony

Post by FatTony »

Chuck wrote: *if* I had a million dollars we wouldn’t have to eat Kraft dinner (sorry, had to - woot. bonus points for naming the band)
But you would Eat Kraft dinner... Right?

Any chance you would have all kinds of Ketchup, like Dijon Ketchup?

BNL= Bare Naked Ladies
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Mac n Cheese will make you fatter tony ;-)

Good answer. Steve is disqualified since he is an employee =)
destruk

Post by destruk »

If you were to finish wizard blocks, then technically, you and IPB could be in competition with Stern, and he keeps saying there is no room for more than one actual pinball company in the world market. What are your thoughts on this? -- Connie Chung
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

destruk wrote:If you were to finish wizard blocks, then technically, you and IPB could be in competition with Stern, and he keeps saying there is no room for more than one actual pinball company in the world market. What are your thoughts on this? -- Connie Chung
My thoughts... hrm...

Boy Connie you sure are hot!

*cough*

Seriously, Stern doesn't have to worry one bit about anything Gene does. You would have to ask Gene the same question but I don't think he ever intends to mass-produce any machine. His thing seems to be more of a boutique model. Special machines that collectors really desire that wouldn't be made otherwise.

There is definately room for two pinball manufacturers. Stern, the *real* pinball factory, capable of creating great titles in large quantities. IPB who will kick out the occasional machine in small quantities specifically for collectors.
ecurtz

Post by ecurtz »

Anybody tempted by the playfield art Wayne has up on ePay? (I assume everyone reads RGP, so I won't go hunt down the auction number.)

Might be useful to have in the event of the oft-rumored death of the Pinball Factory.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Gene probably has it also. Since Gene actually owns the only machines ever made.
yetterben

Post by yetterben »

Some one needs to have serious talk with gene. Although i am sure he is aware of the desire of the community to see his game finished. Is there any solid evidence if how much of the software is actually done? I just hope there is not a huge copyright issue with gene and that douche bag in aussy. Something like this could be don even in the smallest.
Say sell the whiteboard as a repro and the roms. I would very much like to see this game completed or sold as a prototype. Playboy as well. I can say i would pay 5 grand fro the white board and roms. Has no one spoke with gene on this matter?
yetterben

Post by yetterben »

Who bought that art from wayne? is he the owner of the rights or is it split between gene and wayne?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

When we went to visit Gene I played wizard blocks. It's definately playable but not finished. Gene has the only wizard blocks machine that was ever made. He also has all the prototype playfields. The playfield layout is awesome IMO.

As far as rights and making wizard blocks available, only time will tell. Wayne says he's working on it. But he's said that about a whole lot of things this still aren't available. Like everyone here I hope we'll be able to play it in our own machines someday. Nucore is definately an easy solution to that puzzle. Only time will tell how this plays out.
Tower5

Post by Tower5 »

Is there any news on Wizard Blocks or other games?