Update 11.06.08

Chuck
Site Admin

Update 11.06.08

Post by Chuck »

I'm not sure how many of you programmers have to deal with OS upgrades and compatibility issues that pop-up. I loaded Ubuntu 8.1 on my dev machine since it's probably the version we'll ship for. They changed the name of the rtc from /dev/rtc to /dev/rtc0 - that was an easy one. I discovered one yesterday that wasn't so easy. We have a lot of built-in debugging code that no one will ever see. I wanted to check something out so I enabled the "debug mode" and guess what, RICK ROLLED!!!! (crash) Well, 24 hours later and a Hasslehoff strength headache I figured it out. I called Don to discuss the issue and he had me try something that ended up pointing to the problem. All is well again. I'm just glad I got it fixed and we won't have to delay alpha code rollout.

Off-topic there is a new Guy Ritchie movie out tomorrow!!! Wewt! Even though his movies work off of one plotline they sure are entertaining. Can't wait. For now I will just stay in my house and hide from zee germans...
Kenbo
Veteran

Re: Update 11.06.08

Post by Kenbo »

Congrats for finding and fixing it, upgrades can be a major PIA. I develop mostly on QNX and upgrades are always an adventure, but MOST of the troubles are related to gcc and related tools. With so many people involved in a widely distributed free-for-all development methodology backwards compatibility often is forgotten.
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Update 11.06.08

Post by Chuck »

That was one of the trickier parts of this project, making the software work on any current version of linux. I'm pretty sure we could cross compile it to run on any machine with linux. Might require a little tweaking ;-) There were a lot of times that we were tempted to use features of specific hardware (such as accelerated video.) In the end everything is software.