Update 11.17.08

Chuck
Site Admin

Update 11.17.08

Post by Chuck »

One last OS version bug :p

The latest Ubuntu is great due to ease of installation but they added some really fun bugs :p I just found a barely noticeable, but annoying to me, bug last Friday night. Had to do with the sound subsystem. I double-checked our code to make sure we weren't causing the issue and then set out to find what had changed in the new version. After lots of digging it was an issue effecting a whole lot of people. It just wasn't causing the same symptoms I was seeing. Ignoring finesse I just removed the offending library and loaded another and the problem was gone :p I really enjoy spending a few days of pulling hair out to end up right back where I was before the new OS. Progress, ain't it great...
Kenbo
Veteran

Re: Update 11.17.08

Post by Kenbo »

Those kind of issues are frustrating. There's nothing quite like software, the interdependencies can be mind boggling.

And just when you think it's nailed along comes another little surprise.

Who knows what evil lurks in the next update?
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Guess what? The next major release of ubuntu is due in january :p Beta is in a few weeks. This is the exact reason linux will never be mainstream. Although I have to say that the 7 series was very stable and generally bug free (from our point of view.) They really screwed up the 8 series. 8.04 was horrible. 8.1 is better but samba still wont allow me to login to my file server :p It worked in 7.1...
Kenbo
Veteran

Post by Kenbo »

It can't be worse than Windows. That fine company (aka "bunch of bastards") sends updates every other day that cause all sorts of "surprises".