The big night!

Talk about anything PB2K related.
gehrig

The big night!

Post by gehrig »

Tonights the big night...if I remember correctly. Good luck guys!
yetterben

Re: The big night!

Post by yetterben »

hope someone gets a video
yetterben

Post by yetterben »

no updates we are just dying here!
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

The seminar was very informative and very well presented. There were guest speakers as well, including Duncan Brown Cameron Silver, Roger Sharp and Larry Demar who, by the way, was very impressed With both the Nucore team and their system. I tried to take a Video but it was not allowed. I did take a few photos and will post them soon. I wont go into details about the seminar as I feel that belongs to Chuck and Don. Let me just say that it was really Great meeting both of them as they are brilliant friendly guys without airs. Later guys back to the show!
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I have just a couple of minutes...

The experience has been incredible. Larry DeMar said we made pinball 2000 better. I can't think of a better compliment.

I'll give a full rundown when I get home.
gehrig

Post by gehrig »

Awesome! Can't wait to hear the details. Well, have a beer for me then :)
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

I had the chance to speak with George Gomez about RFM and Nucore. He said that he did want to be at the seminar on Thurs but couldnt make it. He also didnt know the details of what Nucore did so I explained them to him. I also emphasized that Nucore did not change his game only that it executed it with modern tech. George was very very nice and easy to talk to. Guess what? his RFM also misses reading some shots LOL so there is nothing wrong with your machines they just need to be updated with NuCore. I guess his main concern about Nucore was the graphics placement
over the playfield glass using the 22" flatscreen. I explained to him in laymans terms that all of the martians and scenes remained where they should even thou the entire field contained the image boarder to boarder. It was done by manipulating the pixel timing or something like that. Hope I got it right Chuck. I went on to explain how vivid the images were and how smooth they ran. He really seemed interested. I forgot to remind him that he will need a NuCore for when his board goes ( He probably has spares) anyway here are some pics of the NuCore team,Larry DeMar signing
the Teams machine and one of me with the Man himself George Gomez

Side note /the pics posted in reverse order the NuCore Team should have been first ! Chuck and Don are 2/3rds of the Nucore team. The others in the photo are responsible for the creation of Pinball 2000 except Peter.
L-R Cameron Silver,Chuck Hess,Duncan Brown,Larry DeMar,Peter (didnt catch last name) and Don Weingarden
Attachments
George Gomez 1.jpg
George Gomez 1.jpg (66.04 KiB) Viewed 19185 times
Larry DeMar signs.jpg
Larry DeMar signs.jpg (61.88 KiB) Viewed 19182 times
NUCORE TEAM.jpg
NUCORE TEAM.jpg (58.5 KiB) Viewed 19182 times
Last edited by Eddie on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Great pics Eddie. It was a pleasure meeting you btw.

Expo 2008 - quick recap
After a good ten hours of much needed sleep I’m ready to tell you what happened at Expo. As Don and I drove from Michigan we spent the three hours discussing what questions people would probably ask. How much each of us would talk (anyone who knows me knows that I can do my fair share of talking.) The funny thing is we were preparing for what might happen at the Fireside Chat. We had no idea that there was excitement waiting for us when we walked in the hotel.

So Don and I arrive and went looking for Mike Pacak. We found him almost immediately and were surprised to find him very nervous. Mike can be fairly animated every time I’ve seen him but this time he was as animated as a cartoon cat walking on hot coals. He proceeded to tell us how wayne had been in contact with him a number of times trying to shut-down our presentation and that none of those attempts phased him. What had him very concerned was an email wayne sent him. He handed the email to us, we read it, and told him it was more of the same. He also mentioned that Williams head council and patent attorney would be sitting in the audience for our chat (the plot thickens…) So our first order of business was to settle Mike down =) Lucky for us Roger Sharp from Williams was about 50 feet away. Months ago we contacted Roger to make sure Williams had no problem with what we were doing (you can read the story on pinballnews.com) Roger knew of some rumblings going on about us and our product. I thought it was a good time to ask Roger if he knew that Gene Cunningham claims to have purchased a pinball 2000 patent when Williams sold him the part business. I think Roger was very surprised to hear this information. This was the “secret” information that we would later reveal at our chat. Wayne has been telling the world that he was the sole owner of the pinball 2000 patents and that the only things Gene owned were a ball through and some other non-essential patent. More about this later. Roger asked us for the patent number, which I provided. I reminded Roger that we wanted to be completely legal and make sure we were breaking no laws or infringing on anyone’s IP. He was very friendly as always then ran off to make a phone call ;-) Fortunately that settled Mike down and all was well.

We had five hours until our chat and thought we would look around and relax a little… HA! Jim from PinGame Journal cornered us. We spent nearly an hour telling him what was going on. Our moderator Gary Flower came by to go over the game plan. He informed us that Wayne wanted him to make a few statements. I said I had no problem with that as long none of them were lies. I ran back in the seminar hall where we had our machine setup and a professional (I believe) photographer was taking pictures of my machine. I told him he might want to come back when the computer was installed (we never left the computer in the machine while we weren’t near it.) After all that fun was over at was 5pm. Don and I wanted to grab a bite to eat. We ate and then went back to the hall to install the computer and test the machine. Everything worked perfectly. WOOT! Time for a shower.

At 7:15 we went back down to the hall to check everything. No problems. Larry DeMar showed up and I introduced myself. He is a legend in the gaming industry, Robotron, Defender, Pinball 2000, slots, this guys has done everything. I asked him to try the emulator out. He said, “YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY!” I acknowledged and asked what he thought after playing for a few minutes. He said, “This is INCREDIBLE! I have all the technical knowledge about this system and I COULDN’T DO THIS! YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY! ” He was smiling and laughing all the while. Of course I was smiling too =) They added a last minute seminar at 7:30 so we had to get off stage. The seminar ran just a tad long so we scrambled to get in place. Our moderator started speaking before we were done setting up the camera so that was a little hectic. The seminar will be available shortly on pinballnews.com so I’ll let you listen to that yourself. It was a huge success, I couldn’t have been happier.

After we were done they had the Williams guys get back up on stage with Don and me for photographs. I thought a couple of people might take a picture. I think everyone in the hall with a camera came up to shoot pictures of us for about 5 minutes. I felt like Brittany Spears getting out of a Bentley! After that everyone ran over to the machine to try it out. I was talking to Cameron Silver and someone said, “It seems to have shutdown…” I immediately went over and the machine was really hot. I rebooted it and it ran again. A few minutes later, black… I installed an Alpine 150watt amplifier just under the computer and though it was causing the cpu to overheat. We found out later that we had lost a case fan and it was indeed overheating. Luckily I brought a spare computer and took the fan out of it. The computer was rock solid all night Friday after that. I’m glad to report that we had zero bugs, zero non heat related crashes, and no weird anomalies. I haven’t checked the audits yet but judging how the playfield looks it got a ton of plays. The machine wasn’t idle for more than 2 minutes for the 6 hours we had it available for free play.

I wanted to take this time to thank everyone for their overwhelming support of our hard work. It’s time like this that makes all the work well worthwhile.
yetterben

Post by yetterben »

SO what of the patents then you are good to go to release.!! Does gene own the proprietary rights to all p2k workings or what?? This is great news and always love to see wayne put in his place. For all his bs he spews and never produces. You can have all the gold in the world but its not worth spit if no one wants it :) My bottom line is if yah piss of all your prospective customers it does not matter what you own or what you produce.

I can't wait to here the lecture. If what i think is correct wizard blocks stands a good chance of seeing production.
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

Here are a few more pics. I forgot to mention that I played the game and it really is a great improvement over stock.
The images are really solid and all of the explosion effects are rich and colorful.Compared to the 2 stock machines at the expo the full boarder video of Nucore seems more appropriate. The switches all register perfectly so the game plays smooth and precise. It really is a must have for Pinball 2000 owners.
Attachments
Flat Screen detail.jpg
Flat Screen detail.jpg (67.24 KiB) Viewed 19139 times
Don and Chuck @ Exhibit.jpg
Don and Chuck @ Exhibit.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 19139 times
1.Chuck Plays RFM jpg.jpg
1.Chuck Plays RFM jpg.jpg (50.66 KiB) Viewed 19139 times
Kenbo
Veteran

Post by Kenbo »

Eddie, thanks for posting the pics.

Chuck and Don, congratulations for a successful presentation and thanks for sticking it out and giving the talk in spite of the Down Under Dick. It's really difficult to find an adjective that is positive regarding that guy, unlike the BigGuys. You guys are heroes.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Kenbo wrote:You guys are heroes.
Thanks for your support as always. I wish we could *really* be heroes and be able to wipe-out enemies of pinball in a single-bound.

=)
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

Here is a vid that I just posted on You tube. Chuck if you want it removed for any reason just let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtYLQ4ei2u8
Eddie
Veteran

Post by Eddie »

I have pics from the Expo showing of the back of the Nucore machine showing the installation of the monitor and how the computer is placed. Chuck would it be Ok to post them here? I rather ask you first.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

please feel free to post any and all pictures or nucore and/or it's inner workings. Just keep the pics of me to a minimum. We don't want to scare people off =)