Update 01.29.09

Chuck
Site Admin

Update 01.29.09

Post by Chuck »

The latest Alpha release was delivered tonight. It was really a few very minor tweaks to the interface and cleaning up some code that had testing code. So a small performance gain of about 2-3fps which isn't bad. Also released the watchdog application that will run Nucore. The watchdog app will monitor Nucore and handle any issues such as planned reboots, unplanned reboots from original code issues (if there are any), and crash management. Although I don't think we've had a crash since the last release (2 weeks ago) reported by our alpha testers. I also gave the alpha testers the procedure to make nucore boot at startup without requiring any user intervention (not even a password.) I don't think the testers were that happy since the initial alpha release. I do admit it was something I should have done a little sooner. It's really nice to be able to turn on the pinball machine again and just have it come up. With the watchdog and the autoboot I could actually leave the machine somewhere and not worry about it. I already have a test site lined up for my machine. I'm going to keep it a secret for a bit because I want to see how the public reacts to the machine. They probably won't have a clue that they are playing anything other than a standard pin if all goes well.

I think the code is ready for beta. We will probably wait to start the beta phase until the legal issues are put to bed. *queue broken record* real soon now ;-)
Eddie
Veteran

Re: Update 01.29.09

Post by Eddie »

New York is the Ideal place for a test site!
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

Hell it would be major news around here if there were ANY pinball on location.
Jazman

Post by Jazman »

You mean they put those things out in PUBLIC?!? What's that like?

(yea, you hit a nerve with that one Chad... and I sympathize... good luck finding one around here either).

Jaz
Jaz
TAF, IJ(93), RFM, SWE1(kit), BSD, Monopoly, LOTR
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I must be lucky. We have public pins at a number of locations. Unfortunately most of them are broke in some way that makes them unplayable to a pinhead. I'm sure the general public drops quarters and has no idea. Chuck-E-Cheeze has a nascar that they keep in pretty good shape except that they need to rebuild the flippers. Every time I tell them they have me two tokens and say they work fine. They work, but they are super weak. I would take parts in and rebuild it for them if they would let me :p
ChadTower
Veteran

Post by ChadTower »

There are a couple of "arcade museums" about an hour from me north and south that have good pins... but other than that, nothing at all within an hour or for at least another hour after that.

On the total bonus side one of those is a tiny barely used arcade museum and has a Big Bang Bar.
Revo76

Post by Revo76 »

Well, i got 4 playfields here and only two complete machine now.
So you could borrow two playfields if you like, only downside is that these are in the Netherlands.
Might indeed be cheaper to get some parts there and have the flipper units refurbished.

(yes, i finally got me two working machines while working on a third project machine.....)
(Got a star wars episode one reserved)