Installation Tips - updated 08.02.09

Support questions and answer and latest software.
Chuck
Site Admin

Installation Tips - updated 08.02.09

Post by Chuck »

1) Always follow the directions. A vast majority of install problems came from the fact that people didn't do exactly what the manual said.
2) Make sure you have a hi-res modern monitor for the installation. Ubuntu tries to auto-detect the monitor and if it finds a newer monitor it will start in hi-resolution mode. If it doesn't it will start in 800x600 and you won't be able to select some required options to finish the install. There are other ways around this but a hi-res monitor is the easiest.
3) If you have problems running the Ubuntu install, try cleaning the disc. Linux is very picky about cd's and doesn't seem to have the error-correction capability of windows. There can also be an issue with older cdrom drives. If for some reason you can't finish the install due to cd errors please post here. You can also download the ubuntu 8.04 lts v3 package http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/
4) make sure you disable and BIOS cpu throttling. This will negatively affect performance of Nucore. See the manual for further details.
5) Before you run the Nucore install disc check and make sure you can get to a web page by opening Firefox. There is a Firefox icon on the top menu bar. Surf to any web page and you should be good.
6) You need to be logged in as the root user to run the nucore install disc. If the install fails look at the upper right menu bar to see which user is logged in. If you see nucore log out and change to root.
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Installation Tips - updated 08.02.09

Post by Chuck »

I want to reiterate how important it is to follow the install directions exactly. So far all install issues have been related to people missing a step. Take your time and follow the instructions.
jbwiz

is it my system adequate? Ubuntu hangs before completing in

Post by jbwiz »

PC Chips A15G mb
AMD Phenom x3 8750
Ultra X4 brand modular 400W
(bought above at Comp USA on 11/27)

2 1G OCZ brand DDR2 memory. Hangs before loading Live Ubuntu when any memory in DIMM slot 2.
Loads Live Ubuntu if slot empty; fails on install to hd (after the format is complete)
Memory I bought in 2007 but just opened the package.

Case is from 1998. PS mounted with only 1 screw.

when it hangs, the image on the screen gets disturbances and freezes as is. Usually, it looks like blue paint splattered on it. Or if the orange Ubuntu desktop is showing, then it looks like the screen was shaken.
I have also seen this once while running the Memory test software on the Ubuntu disk; with 2G, the memory test froze at 5:50 elapses and the screen looked shaken.

Have tried 3 different CD-ROM drives of various ages and speeds, a DVD drive, and 2 different hard drives- 1TB SATA and 40G PATA.

In all cases, both Windows and DOS run fine; only seems to hang when booting Ubuntu.

I've tried creating new CD's and a DVD, but none have booted successfully. Will keep trying that.

Meanwhile, what system/power supply are you using, and do you see anything in my configuration that would likely cause Ubuntu to fail installing?

I have read the Ubuntu support board to look for tips, but found none about the hardware. Have tried runing with the option noapic and nolapic, but no difference was noted.
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: is it my system adequate? Ubuntu hangs before completing in

Post by Chuck »

jbwiz wrote:PC Chips A15G mb
AMD Phenom x3 8750

2 1G OCZ brand DDR2 memory. Hangs before loading Live Ubuntu when any memory in DIMM slot 2.
Loads Live Ubuntu if slot empty; fails on install to hd (after the format is complete)

when it hangs, the image on the screen gets disturbances and freezes as is. Usually, it looks like blue paint splattered on it. Or if the orange Ubuntu desktop is showing, then it looks like the screen was shaken.
I have also seen this once while running the Memory test software on the Ubuntu disk; with 2G, the memory test froze at 5:50 elapses and the screen looked shaken.

Have tried 3 different CD-ROM drives of various ages and speeds, a DVD drive, and 2 different hard drives- 1TB SATA and 40G PATA.

In all cases, both Windows and DOS run fine; only seems to hang when booting Ubuntu.

I've tried creating new CD's and a DVD, but none have booted successfully. Will keep trying that.

Meanwhile, what system/power supply are you using, and do you see anything in my configuration that would likely cause Ubuntu to fail installing?

I have read the Ubuntu support board to look for tips, but found none about the hardware. Have tried runing with the option noapic and nolapic, but no difference was noted.
What speed memory did you buy?
jbwiz

Re: is it my system adequate? Ubuntu hangs before completing in

Post by jbwiz »

Chuck wrote:
jbwiz wrote:PC Chips A15G mb
AMD Phenom x3 8750

What speed memory did you buy?
800MHz .
OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel 4-4-4
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

I would guess a problem with the motherboard or *possibly* bad ram. Check and see if anyone has gotten linux to work with that motherboard. I looked it up, since I had never heard of the manufacturer, and found it was 20 bucks. I would start there ;-)

We use gigabyte, asus, and foxcon motherboards and never had any problems.
jbwiz

Post by jbwiz »

Chuck wrote:I would guess a problem with the motherboard or *possibly* bad ram. Check and see if anyone has gotten linux to work with that motherboard. I looked it up, since I had never heard of the manufacturer, and found it was 20 bucks. I would start there ;-)

Thanks. Will try new MB and RAM and will reply. Found today under the general section the computer parts suggestions so I'll try one of them first.

Attached are photos of the screens when they hang.
Hung while booting Live CD
Hung while booting Live CD
CIMG7979.JPG (28.59 KiB) Viewed 22541 times
another hang.  this one was later in the boot process
another hang. this one was later in the boot process
CIMG7980.JPG (28.82 KiB) Viewed 22543 times
Tried making an alternate CD from Ubuntu's site.  Hung at this part, which was after the partition was complete and the software was installing.  Weird rainbow colors part of the hang.
Tried making an alternate CD from Ubuntu's site. Hung at this part, which was after the partition was complete and the software was installing. Weird rainbow colors part of the hang.
CIMG7983.JPG (29.07 KiB) Viewed 22543 times
jbwiz

Post by jbwiz »

jbwiz wrote:
Chuck wrote:I would guess a problem with the motherboard or *possibly* bad ram. Check and see if anyone has gotten linux to work with that motherboard. I looked it up, since I had never heard of the manufacturer, and found it was 20 bucks. I would start there ;-)

Thanks. Will try new MB and RAM and will reply. Found today under the general section the computer parts suggestions so I'll try one of them first.
replaced motherboard with Asus M2N68-AM Plus motherboard I bought exactly 1 year later, Black Friday 2010. Linux installed successfully, and I have now played the first game of my RFM using the Nucore system. Thanks.
(why so long? I don't know, but I worked on some other project games this year. Going to Expo in 2010 put me back in frame to tackle this again.)