Saving scores after playfield swap

Support questions and answer and latest software.
Chuck
Site Admin

Re: Saving scores after playfield swap

Post by Chuck »

Shredso wrote:First reset crashed the system. 2nd reset worked but high scores are still not saved. In game settings from before the reset stayed, I would think they should have been restored to factory.
Disconnect the usb cable from the usb board. Remove the jumper next to the battery for 10 seconds. Reinstall the jumper and reconnect the cable. Try a factory reset again.
Shredso

Post by Shredso »

This seems to have worked. Thanks.
Shredso

Post by Shredso »

After a few more power ups and power downs the problem persists. Today I got 16 or 17 loops and it reverted to a previous save of 9 loops. I had a pretty good GC score today which got erased and my 4 year olds Jedi Youth initials were erased. This is very frustrating. Very strange that it doesn't erase everything.
sirscott
Veteran

Post by sirscott »

you mentioned that you have the board mounted upside down?

1. Would you upload a picture of the mounting of your board.
2. Are you using a new mother, or recycled one? (caps can cause issues)

>here is no jumper there. It must have fallen off when I was switching the translite. I have the board mounted upside down. If I can't find the jumper (I'm sure it's long gone) all i need to do is short out the 2 contacts correct? With this jumper in place will it save scores between playfield swaps?
If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence you tried.
Shredso

Post by Shredso »

The NuCore card is mounted on the top of the inside of the head. Sort of like how the case hangs from the top. I tried taking a picture but I couldn't get it to come out very good. I was mistaken by anything falling off, the jumper is very secure. I took the board down while checking the battery and jumpers and the problem persisted.

All computer parts are brand new (and probably still under warranty). Someone replied to me on RGP saying his similar problem was a motherboard issue. If I were to try and get a warranty replacement what would I saw was wrong?
sirscott
Veteran

Post by sirscott »

sorry, I am not sure what you would say the cause is, if you choose to return the motherboard.

Following back to your original concern, I wonder if your data is being held in RAM, but not written to the hard drive.

I would review *all* of the BIOS seetings outlined in page 5 of the current user manual, that apply to your processor (AMD or Intel), and your mother board BIOS.

Also, if you would please, how are you powering down both the computer system, and the pinball machine? Please provide some details.
If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence you tried.
Shredso

Post by Shredso »

I'll check the BIOS settings this weekend but IIRC my BIOS was pretty simple and most of the settings weren't available. The computer and audio amp is being powered on and off by the stock power button. LCD is on the service receptacle.
Shredso

Post by Shredso »

I checked out my BIOS today. During boot I also noticed a couple errors. Something about "ignoring bad line sectors"? I tried the pause function on the keyboard but it didn't work. I'm guessing a clean install of everything is in order. Here is the BIOS settings from the manual. I highlighted the ones that I could find. I went through every portion of every menu. The motherboard is an MSI GF615M-P33 AM3 NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE & nForce 430 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Speed:
1) System Bios Cacheable - Enabled.
2) CPU internal Cache - Enabled.
3) External Cache - Enabled.
4) Video Bios Cacheable - Enabled
Power Management
1) CPU throttling

On AMD based systems this is called “Cool and Quiet”. Make sure this is disabled

On Intel Core2 based systems there are three settings you‟ll need to disable:
Limit CPUID MaxVal – Disable
C1E Function – Disable
EIST Function – Disable
2) ACPI Suspend type – S1
3) HPET Support - Enabled.
USB Devices
1) USB Keyboard function – Enable
2) USB Mouse function - Enable
Special Features:
1) Parallel Port: SPP recommended. (All modes will work EPP, ECP )
2) Power On After Power Failure - ON, This eliminates pressing power button on every power up.