Nucore 2.25.3R Released

Official announcements from the team.
Chuck
Site Admin

Nucore 2.25.3R Released

Post by Chuck »

IMPORTANT!

Before installing this update you must have already installed 2.25!

Instructions are included in the zip file.

http://www.bigguyspinball.com/nucoresupport.shtml

Changelog:

* Support has been added for any parallel port address via command line.
(Example: ./run nucore -parallel 0x378) You must specify a hex address for the port. Nucore will attempt to auto-detect standard ports.
* NVRAM file fixes
* A fix in the jukebox screensaver mode. Could cause screen to session blank with certain settings.
jbrove

Re: Nucore 2.25.3R Released

Post by jbrove »

Hi Chuck,

I did some testing and found that when using a non-standard parallel port address (in my case 0x3008) I cannot access the jukebox or the nucore menu. All other functions work perfectly ie. gameplay, coin door buttons, etc. I thought this might be an issue with my install so I freshly installed nucore on an other machine with a standard parallel port address (0x378), fully updated it and verified that I could access the nucore menu and jukebox. I then copied the entire /root/nucore folder off the working machine onto my non-standard-parallel-port-machine and found that I still could not access the jukebox or nucore menus.

I also tried starting nucore from the machine with the standard parallel port address with -parallel 0x378 to test whether it was the command line option itself causing the issue. However, the nucore and jukebox menus still worked on that machine when I did that.

Is it possible that the 'hooks' that wait for the button combinations are still looking on the legacy address - 0x378?

Thanks again,
J
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Possible. I'll check.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

J,

Check your email.
jbrove

Post by jbrove »

That fixed it! Thanks Chuck!

Best,
J
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

The link above contains the latest Nucore binary with this additional fix. If you've downloaded 2.25.3R please re-download the zip again and repeat the install procedure. The new version is 2.25.3aR
dgarner9

Post by dgarner9 »

Thanks Chuck,

the new release resolved all my issues with a fresh 8.04 build and everything works great!

I plan to try it on a new version of Ubuntu this weekend just for fun.

Darin
dgarner9

Post by dgarner9 »

Chuck,

I have Ubuntu 16.04 automatically booting to Nucore but have an issue with it communicating through the parallel port but have not had time to figure out whats going on. It took a while to figure out how to get it to work with lighdm.

Thanks,
Darin
Wizboy

Post by Wizboy »

Any news or further Development?

Any dicisions made about tools for public release?
zag

Post by zag »

Hello Dave, hello Chuck,

thank you very much for releasing this great software to the p2k community for free!

Yesterday my RFM pc won't start anymore. I installed nucore first on Ubuntu 8 and later again on Ubuntu 10, which works with both versions. Then i tried Lubuntu 18.04 32bit. I had to modify the install procedure a bit and did the updates to 2.25 and 2.253R manually and changed a few settings to start nucore directly after the pc starts. Then i started nucore. The application starts with the game select screen. i choose RFM and pressed both button. Then the application crashed because of the missing alsa devices. There might be solution to this problem by deactivating pulse audio or installing a different audio server. But i haven't looked into this problem further. Is there a disable sound option in nucore? I would like to test beyond the alsa problem.

Maybe the best way to solve this is to compile nucore under 18.04 or Debian 9 against a recent sdl version or an older sdlversion which supports pulse audio.

If we solve all library/device problems, i could make a simple Debian package for 18.04 or (Debian 9) which could be installed with a few clicks.

I don't know how Nucore uses 15 khz, but with an additional modeline (started from lightdm), 15 khz should work with many ATI cards in Lubutu 18.04 or Debian.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Don has been working on a new distro but he's been really busy. Can't promise a date. No way to play Nucore without sound. But, we do use sdlmixer so any general, working, sound interface should work in theory. Although things tend to get messed up in Linux occasionally.
zag

Post by zag »

Thanks for reply.
zag

Post by zag »

After a fresh Lubutu 18.04 installation the sound problem is gone and Nucore 2.553r is working. The system now boots from pc start to Nucore start with a black screen (accept for the BIOS messages) in a few seconds. The kernel and drivers of this GNU Linux version works very well with the Pinball 2000 CRT 15 khz monitor, as well as with a LCD monitor.

I'am thinking about, making a shell install and configuration script for the old CD (Dropbox) and the 2.25, 2.253r updates. Or making a Debian package or a DVD with installer. However, a DVD can always contain remnants of copyright protected programs and drivers. Therefore I think a Debian package is the simplest way for developers and installing a debian package with a few clicks shouldn't be a problem for end-users.

Here's test video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxQjbg4RLHI

Edit: Link
Last edited by zag on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck
Site Admin

Post by Chuck »

Everyone would appreciate you sharing a working distro with the nucore code.
zag

Post by zag »

Thanks for replay. I'll start on the weekend.

Nucore Debian package for Lubuntu 18.04: viewtopic.php?f=17&p=5353#p5353